Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 Sql server 2012 can't find .bak file

Author  Topic 

Psycho187
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-22 : 09:24:59
hi There,

i've been searching and searching for days now for a solution to my problem and i haven't come across anyone that can help me. i've just installed sql server 2012 on a virtual server 2012 and i'm trying to restore a .bak file on sql, but when i try and find the file, it shows me that there's no file there, any help would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-22 : 09:40:01
quote:
Originally posted by Psycho187

hi There,

i've been searching and searching for days now for a solution to my problem and i haven't come across anyone that can help me. i've just installed sql server 2012 on a virtual server 2012 and i'm trying to restore a .bak file on sql, but when i try and find the file, it shows me that there's no file there, any help would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Do you mean that you are trying to restore a database backup to the new server? Are you able to see the backup file on the file system using Windows Explorer?
Go to Top of Page

Psycho187
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-22 : 09:50:04
yes, i'm trying to restore a database backup file from sql server 2008 on to sql server 2012, i have successfully done the same thing on my windows 8 machine and it found it and restored it with no problems, after i install sql 2012 on windows server 2012 i suddenly can't see the back file in the location that i put it in with sql 2012. yes i'm able to see the backup file with windows explorer.
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool

1834 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-22 : 19:15:53
Is there a different service account being used by the SQL 2012 service? Perhaps it doesn't have access to the directory where the backups are held.

=================================================
The cure for anything is salt water -- sweat, tears, or the sea. -Isak Dinesen
Go to Top of Page

Psycho187
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-26 : 02:06:36
@Bustaz - please explain, i don't understand. i've only got 2 service accounts, 1 for sql 2005 even though i don't have that on my pc and 1 other service account for sql. Ho do i set the service accounts to have access to the folder i have my backups in?
Go to Top of Page

Psycho187
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-26 : 05:55:53
i just found a user account called "service" in the user accounts in the security tab on the folder, once i included that account in the list of users, i then restarted sql server, just to make sure, and then i was able to see my sql back up files, i don't know why i took this long to solve such a little problem. thank you for all the replies.
Go to Top of Page

elliswhite
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - 2014-05-06 : 02:01:31
u should first specify a path for .bak file at the time of restoration. If problem persists further then use online available backup recovery utilities.
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool

1834 Posts

Posted - 2014-05-09 : 16:31:40
The SQL Server service account can be found by Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services. Double-click on the SQL Server service->Log On tab. You'll either be using the "Local System account" or "This account" to define a specific account. If you are using the Local System account, you won't be able to reference backups that are not local to the server. If, instead, you have defined the account to use, this is the account that needs to have access to the backup file location. Your ability to access the backups using your personal logon is irrelevant; it is the SQL Server account that is used, even though you are initiating the backup. Your IT people should be able to determine what rights are granted to each account.

===============================================================================
“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” - T.A.Edison
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -