Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 DTS Transformation Task Columns

Author  Topic 

atifbhinder
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-03 : 02:00:02
Hi
I am trying to make some changes in an old DTS.
simple question is if there is a maximum number of columns that can be exported to a flat file destination?

the whole scenario is that
The DTS has a Flat file destination, which writes a csv file from a view in database with fairly large number of columns. I define the source and define the location of the destination file on the destination tab.. Then I go further to define the columns by clicking "define columns", in the pop-up window, I choose "populate from source", it populates the list of columns. all is well until I press "execute", as soon as do that it does not populate the columns back to the "destination" tab. and when I again click "define column", the enterprise manager crashes.
it does not happen if number of columns =< 18.
any clue?

atifbhinder
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-05 : 18:34:30
Further to explain the problem is that, if the number of the column in the source is less than 18, I can easily get them in the transformation and write them to the destination. but when more than that i causes issues and I cannot proceed with my changes. and the issue I have already mentioned that there are no column picked up in the transformation so I cant define any transformation.

I will be really thankful if any1 has any clue at all... I can create an SSIS 2008 package to replace the current DTS. but it is not feasible at the moment as a lot of things are hinging on these DTS's and the replacement would need a long testing before actually replacing the DTS. Also, I dont yet know as to how this would affect the whole system.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -