Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Other SQL Server 2008 Topics
 Slow performance of a job in SQL server 2008

Author  Topic 

Mallika_19
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2014-07-28 : 05:00:54
Hi ,

I have a issue regarding a query showing very late response on one server while it works perfectly on another.

I have a job defined in SQL server 2008 which runs a stored procedure of select query which fetches around 230000 rows . One one server this job runs in 6 hr but on another server this jobs takes around 1 day and 15Hr+.

The H/W configuration is same on both the servers. Can anyone help me what can be the possible cause of slow response on one server.

Thanks in advance.

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-28 : 09:17:18
quote:
Originally posted by Mallika_19

Hi ,

I have a issue regarding a query showing very late response on one server while it works perfectly on another.

I have a job defined in SQL server 2008 which runs a stored procedure of select query which fetches around 230000 rows . One one server this job runs in 6 hr but on another server this jobs takes around 1 day and 15Hr+.

The H/W configuration is same on both the servers. Can anyone help me what can be the possible cause of slow response on one server.

Thanks in advance.

In addition to the hardware configuration which you have ruled out, some of the other possible reasons could be:

a) Data being different - i.e., SQL Server has to look through more data on one compared to the other.

b) Different loads - i.e., there may be other processes competing for resources (cpu time, memory, access to tables etc.)

c) Out of date statistics or fragmented indexes on the slow server.

Look at the query plans on both servers to see if they are different.

Regardless of the complexity of the query, six hours seems like an awful long time to run a query. What is it doing?
Go to Top of Page

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-30 : 01:43:23
Where are the results being written to? Are they writing to a output file ? Is this configured the same on both servers?
Regardless, the first step to take is to ensure you are comparing like for like .
Is the maintenance the same on both servers, DDL and DML ?

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -