Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Custom Command/Shortcuts How To?

Author  Topic 

pandalion
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-19 : 10:24:28
I want a shortcut to paste some SQL wherever my cursor is.

For example, I often need to describe a table. On Oracle and Netezza this is easy with desc and /d commands. But in SQL Server you have to type exec sp_columns table_name.

And to search for a table I have to type: select table_name from information_schema.tables where table_name like '%%'.

This is all too much work, and I'm certainly not browsing the tree structure using my mouse. That's unproductive.

I want the ability to hit couple of keys and have code inserted wherever my cursor is. For example I want to hit command keys and have it paste a template where I can quickly just type in the dynamic part.

Example: If i want to describe a table I just use short-cut keys and the text "exec sp_columns " is pasted wherever my cursor is and then I type the table name in manually.

Any way to do this in SQL Server or Windows? I connect to SQL Server over Citrix if that matters.

Thanks!

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-19 : 11:15:38
In SSMS, you can use snippets. see under Tools menu. Ctrl-K Ctrl-X lets you insert snippets.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -