Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Type of User Login

Author  Topic 

luka
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-09 : 23:59:29
Hello, i do not have much experience in SQL administration and would need some help from you members of this forum. I am studying SQL administration and do not know what type of user login i should use for the following scenario. Here it is.

"I use a contained database named Invoice database within a domain.I need to create a user who can log on to the Invoice database.I also need to ensure that i can port the database to different database servers within domain without additional user account configuration.What type of user should i create? Here are available answers.

#SQL user without login
#SQL user with login
#Domain user

Thank you so much for you help.
Luka

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-10 : 10:47:31
See the discussion here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-CA/library/ff929071.aspx

Basically you have three choices:

Contained database user with password -- a SQL user without a login
Contained database users with passwords are authenticated by the database.
Windows principals - a Domain user
Authorized Windows users and members of authorized Windows groups can connect directly to the database and do not need logins in the master database. The database trusts the authentication by Windows.
Users based on logins in the master database - a SQL user with a login
can be granted access to a contained database, but that would create a dependency on the SQL Server instance.

Since you need to "port the database to different database servers within domain", which one do you think fits?
Go to Top of Page

luka
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-10 : 13:20:02
I am not so sure. I am thinking between a SQL user without a login or Domain user. Which one should be more applicable?

Thx
Go to Top of Page

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-10 : 19:23:08
well, a sql user without a login requires a password and perhaps ongoing password maintenance. A domain user is managed by AD
Go to Top of Page

luka
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-11 : 01:57:53
thank you.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -