Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 Connection problem

Author  Topic 

bh0526
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-27 : 09:59:59
I have a SQL Server 2012 Express database on a network server. If I remote desktop to the server, then I can use SSMS on the server to connect. But I can not connect from my SSMS client on my PC. I can connect to a db on my PC and I can also connect to a db at our hosting company for our web site. But I can't connect to the db on our local server.

Here is the error I get:

TITLE: Connect to Server
------------------------------

Cannot connect to mriXXX\sqlXXX.

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

I enabled tcp and I also allow remote connections. The SQLBrowser was disabled and stopped but I enabled it and it's now running. So what am I doing wrong?

bh0526
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-27 : 12:14:46
I got it working. Using SQL Configuration manager, I did this:

1. Right-click on TCP/IP and select Properties.
2. Verify that, under IP2, the IP Address is set to the computer's IP address on the local subnet.
3. Scroll down to IPAll.
4. Make sure that TCP Dynamic Ports is blank. (Mine was set to some 5-digit port number.)
5. Make sure that TCP Port is set to 1433. (Mine was blank.)

#4 and #5 was the problem I had. I fixed this and restarted SQL and it now works fine.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -