Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Resoring Databse from mounted image??

Author  Topic 

ataenter
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2015-04-21 : 17:29:47
Hi,

I have a microsoft business contact management database i'd like to bring back alive, it's now mounted via acronis as "H" drive, i see the mdf and log files but can't seem to have the new windows install / sql recognize it when i copy it into the my "C" drive :(

Please help!

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2015-04-22 : 07:09:04
personally I would create a Full backup on the Source Server and then copy that file (locally) and RESTORE it onto the Target Machine. In the RESTORE command you can easily change the location of the files, the logical names (so they don't clash with anything else), and so on.

The BACKUP FILE will, potentially, be much smaller than the MDF + LOG files (which can be significant in terms of copying time on big databases), it will be transactionally consistent, and there is no need to take the database offline (on the Source Server) in order to make the copy [i.e. of MDF and LDF file]. It wouldn't be the first time that a database was taken offline and then failed to mount again!!
Go to Top of Page

ataenter
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2015-04-22 : 21:18:39
Hi,

First off thanks for your reply. Problem is i can no longer boot from the backup image unless i restore it, i can only mount the image and copy the mdf and log.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -