Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 Refresh rate of the site

Author  Topic 

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-15 : 12:44:44
Is it just me, or do I see no activity...then all of a sudden I get a refresh of a burst of activity. I click refresh in the browser and also use the "All Formus" link....am I doing something wrong? Or is it just coincidental? Also I noticed that sometime, the last person posted is NOT the last person posted in the thread.

Brett

8-)

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-15 : 12:57:20
What settings do you have for your browser? I am using IE. Here is how to check in IE. Go to Tools, Internet Options, click settings, you should have "every visit to the page" selected in the "check for newer versions of stored pages" section. If you don't have this selected, then change it. It should now work, unless your proxy server is overriding this value.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-15 : 12:59:39
Use the active topics with a 5 minute refresh. It shows you what is going on.

The last person on the thread thing, is the last person to edit a post.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-15 : 13:04:27
my setting was set to automatic....I changed it, but what's the diff?

IE v5.50.552

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-15 : 13:12:01
Automatically means that it will decide for you, I believe at least. Every visit to the page means every visit to the page, which is what you want for sites that change all of the time, like sqlteam.com.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

331 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-15 : 19:45:52
Automatic works fine for me.

If you change to "every visit" you will notice a slowdown in your web surfing, since this setting is for all web pages.

Use Active Topics like Merkin said. Otherwise there is no automatic refresh of forum data, you have to click a link to get new stuff.

======
Doug G
======
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-15 : 19:55:31
quote:

If you change to "every visit" you will notice a slowdown in your web surfing, since this setting is for all web pages.

I haven't noticed a slowdown at all in my web browsing since I changed the setting a few months ago. I didn't make the change because of sqlteam.com but rather because of a web site that my company developed (need every visit to troubleshoot things).

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

331 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-17 : 11:40:04
quote:

quote:

I haven't noticed a slowdown at all in my web browsing since I changed the setting a few months ago. I didn't make the change because of sqlteam.com but rather because of a web site that my company developed (need every visit to troubleshoot things).

Tara

You won't see it as much on a high-speed connection, but it's noticeable on dialup. Pages are always downloaded instead of being served up from cache.

======
Doug G
======
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-17 : 12:14:16
quote:

You won't see it as much on a high-speed connection, but it's noticeable on dialup. Pages are always downloaded instead of being served up from cache.

Ugh dialup! Isn't that like using SQL Server 4.2?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -