Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 MSDE (2000)
 MSDE Setup fails

Author  Topic 

gerold
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2003-05-19 : 15:28:35
Hi folks,

I need to install the MSDE during a setup of one of our apps.

The online help of SQL server 2000 suggests to use CreateProcess() and WaitForSingleObject() for this and supplies a sample code, too. No prob. This is an easy task. I do this all the time when I have to run something synchronously.

So I do the following in the VB6 setup routine:

RC = CreateProcess(vbNullString, "D:\MSDE\setup.exe /settings IC-SBE-MSDE.INI /l D:\MSDE\IC-SBE-MSDE.log /qb /wait", 0, 0, True, NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS, 0, Directory, StartupInfo, ProcessInfo)

[or in another attempt]

RC = CreateProcess(vbNullString, "D:\MSDE\setup.exe /settings IC-SBE-MSDE.INI /l D:\MSDE\IC-SBE-MSDE.log /qb /wait", 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, vbNullString, StartupInfo, ProcessInfo)

RC = WaitForSingleObject(ProcessInfo.hProcess, INFINITE)

The MSDE-Setup starts, the progress bar goes to "Time remaining: [varying from 20 to 15] seconds" ... and stucks there :-(

The processes setup.exe, setupre.exe and sqlredis.exe can be seen in the Task Manager with no CPU activity.

The last line in D:\MSDE\IC-SBE-MSDE.log shows:
Executing "C:\Programme\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlredis.exe /q:a"

Pressing 'Cancel' in the Setup dialog lowers the button but nothing else happens. If I 'shoot down' sqlredis.exe in TaskMgr the setup comes up with "Installation of the MDAC package failed" and ends with return code 1603.

The corresponing lines in D:\MSDE\IC-SBE-MSDE.log are:
Starting custom action InstallSqlRedis
Executing "C:\Programme\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlredis.exe /q:a"
Installation of the Microsoft Data Access Components package failed.
Action ended 21:08:25: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

---------------------------------------------------------

And to bring a little fun into it: It works with the VB6 Shell command. But this runs the setup asynchronously...

I tried this with SQL2KDeskSP3.exe on Win2K Prof/SP3.

As far as I'm concerned I do everything that is suggested in the docs / sample codes.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Geri

gerold
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2003-05-21 : 16:01:29
got it!

Have to use:

Do
RC = MsgWaitForMultipleObjects(1, ProcessInfo.hProcess, 0, INFINITE, (QS_POSTMESSAGE Or QS_SENDMESSAGE))
If RC = WAIT_FAILED Then Err.Raise 1
DoEvents
Loop While RC <> WAIT_OBJECT_0

...instead of WaitForSingleObject(...)

But, now something else appears:

"Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and setup error logs for more information."

OK, I referred...

server error log shows 2 Warnings:
2003-05-21 21:45:59.42 server Using dynamic lock allocation. [500] Lock Blocks, [1000] Lock Owner Blocks.
2003-05-21 21:45:59.86 spid3 Warning ******************
2003-05-21 21:45:59.86 spid3 SQL Server started in single user mode. Updates allowed to system catalogs.
2003-05-21 21:46:03.37 spid3 SQL global counter collection task is created.
2003-05-21 21:46:03.42 spid3 Warning: override, autoexec procedures skipped.
2003-05-21 21:46:12.32 spid3 SQL Server is terminating due to 'stop' request from Service Control Manager.

However, not very helpful ( to me ).

setup error log shows:
Starting custom action ConfigServer
Executing "C:\Programme\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\cnfgsvr.exe -V 1 -M 1 -U sa -I "MSSQLSERVER" -Q "Latin1_General_CI_AS""
Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and setup error logs for more information.
Action ended 21:48:08: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

AND?!? Do I have to patch setup.exe now to supply the proper arguments? Or is it another case of "Welcome to the world of Windows!"? :-)

Edited by - gerold on 05/21/2003 16:02:59
Go to Top of Page

gerold
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2003-05-21 : 16:28:08
Got it, again!

( Hehe, not with me, guys! ;-)

INSTANCENAME ist NOT an OPTIONAL parameter in the ini_file!

Shame on doc writers and/or coders!

Go to Top of Page

gerold
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2003-05-22 : 07:24:37
CORRECTION:

INSTANCENAME is optional!

But, if an error occurs during MSDE setup and the setup rollback is performed after confirming the error message,
the instance sub-folders of C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\ ...

MSSQL ... for a default instance
MSSQL$[instance_name] ... for a named instance

...are NOT removed!

And if you then start the MSDE setup again with the same instance name ( or a default instance ) the 'failed to config server' error occurs.

Deleting the instance folder yourself is the solution.

Still shame on doc writers and/or coders! :-)

Go to Top of Page

yurcomputer
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2004-06-16 : 13:19:23
I got the same problem.
I tried to use yur solution (delete the instance folder), but I got the same error during installation.

Thanks.

San
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -