Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 Question On Email Notifications

Author  Topic 

UIT
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-11 : 09:58:51
Greetings -

Just joined and read the FAQ regarding email notifications on this forum and I have a question. In the FAQ it says "If you can subscribe to an entire Board, you'll get a notification for any posts made within all the forums inside that board" - which is what I'd like to do but some of the top-level forums in "SQL Server Related Forums" dont have the "subscribe" button for them. My assumption is that they arent set?

Is there a way to set them for:
- Transact-SQL
- Import/Export (DTS) and Replication
- Developer
- General SQL Server

However, I see that all of the topics in the "Other Forums" are able to be subscribed to, which includes "MS Access"...

Its possible that there is a good reason for not being able to subscribe, but it would be great to be able to email-subscribe to all topics created in the forums I listed above, and even "Adiministration" would be a great one too! Otherwise, its difficult to be able to know/keep up with which topics are newly created without email notifications. There can be dozens of topics posted hours later and some could even be dead by then - it would be great to be able to participate.

If anyone has any suggestions on how they keep current with new topics, I am wide open!

Thanks!!

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-11 : 10:06:52
Hi

Basically the traffic for those forums is fairly high so allowing subscriptions to the entire topic area would put a strain on the server. This server doesn't need any more strain

Your best bet is use the "Active Topics" page which shows anything that has been active since your last visit to the site.

Welcome aboard!

Damian
Go to Top of Page

Frank Kalis
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

413 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-11 : 10:18:10
Hi Damian,

using the Active topic link suggest, you'll have an open instance of your browser all the time or visit the site frequently.
I don't think traffic will suffer that significantly to slow the site down when subscription i s set to forum level. I have contacted graz on this topic (btw, Hello graz) some time ago on this topic and on 'format' of subscription mail in general. Haven't heard anything yet.

See, I'm very active on sqlservercentral.com and would like to participate in another forum, but Snitz standard notification as implemented here is really a pain. They could have only stated 'You have post!'. sqlservercentral notification mails include a meaningful mails subject and the text of the posted mail, so you can see very easily, if this is a topic of your interest and knowledge or not.

I hope graz will comment on this!

Cheers,
Frank
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-11 : 10:37:49
quote:

you'll have an open instance of your browser all the time or visit the site frequently

Doesn't everyone ?

quote:

I don't think traffic will suffer that significantly to slow the site down when subscription i s set to forum level.

Snitz sends out mails when the submit button is clicked, sending mail isn't really quick so this will make the person posting a message have to wait for the next page to be rendered.

What we have been thinking about is some RSS feeds. With an aggregator like Newsgator it would be just like an email, only cooler. I just have to get around to writing the code

Damian
Go to Top of Page

Frank Kalis

413 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-11 : 10:41:49
quote:

Doesn't everyone ?

sure, more than one, and still struggliung with sh*tty IE for opening the link in the last used instance and not in the one I want.

quote:

Snitz sends out mails when the submit button is clicked, sending mail isn't really quick so this will make the person posting a message have to wait for the next page to be rendered.

have many posts do you write per minute

quote:

What we have been thinking about is some RSS feeds. With an aggregator like Newsgator it would be just like an email, only cooler. I just have to get around to writing the code

if it works

Cheers,
Frank
Go to Top of Page

UIT
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-11 : 10:43:29
quote:
Originally posted by Merkin

Hi

Basically the traffic for those forums is fairly high so allowing subscriptions to the entire topic area would put a strain on the server. This server doesn't need any more strain

Your best bet is use the "Active Topics" page which shows anything that has been active since your last visit to the site.

Welcome aboard!

Damian

Thanks for the reply!

I was thinking that could be the reason! :) Good to be here!
Go to Top of Page

Frank Kalis

413 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-11 : 10:44:40
So, you say the site is slow.

See how fast it is in the number of typos I've made

Cheers,
Frank
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -