Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Poll Discussion
 Poll: I spend the most time writing in...

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-14 : 09:48:17
This thread goes with the poll I spend the most time writing in....

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-14 : 11:50:45
Graz, I voted according to my reality today, but as a contractor, my answer will change from client to client. I would have had a completely different answer 6 months ago, and hope to have an even different one a few months from now. I know, I know...leave it to a contractor to screw things up. But I just wanted to put out this reminder that you've got some folks here who bounce from one area to another, but there's always (hopefully) some tie-in to SQL Server.

--------------------------------------------------------
Visit the SQLTeam Weblogs at [url]http://weblogs.sqlteam.com[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Granick
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-14 : 12:15:30
It is funny, I voted according to what I do the most right now, the whole time thinking how I wish it were something else. Good part is that no matter what I am working in, SQL Server is a big part of it.
Go to Top of Page

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-14 : 12:42:34
Graz, What about ASP.net? I write ASP.net in VB.net, so I choose VB.net.

Michael

<Yoda>Use the Search page you must. Find the answer you will.</Yoda>
Go to Top of Page

dewaynec
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2003-11-14 : 13:50:15
Like Granick, I voted with what I use most (VB), but would much prefer C#.

(Personal preference, no language wars, please...)
Go to Top of Page

JustinBigelow
SQL Gigolo

1157 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-14 : 15:56:18
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I use C# the most but selected VB.NET by accident and hit the submit button too quick.

Justin

"I want to thank you. You could've given us help, but you've given us so much more."
Go to Top of Page

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-14 : 16:04:17
Dammit, Justin! you ruined the whole poll for all of us !!!

- Jeff
Go to Top of Page

p2bl
Yak Posting Veteran

54 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-15 : 09:51:00
I use java,which is not in the list

========================
look!
Go to Top of Page

Tim
Starting Member

392 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-16 : 18:50:30
Justin that was no accident. It was your subconcious yearning for VB.

To paraphrase an old saying: "You can take the programmer out of VB but you can't take VB out of the programmer"

Welcome back prodigal son!
Go to Top of Page

SQLServerDBA_Dan
Aged Yak Warrior

752 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-17 : 15:38:09
I feel sorry for those guys still using VB6...

VB.NET is a lot better.

Daniel
SQL Server DBA
Go to Top of Page

AndrewMurphy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2916 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-20 : 09:24:13
"I feel sorry for those guys still using VB6"

Don't!!......I've less headaches than my colleagues at the far end of the room!

My clients are not physically remote from me.
My processes are not repeatable (to such a degree as to be worth sharing), across my organisation.
My data is not sharable.

My clients are quite happy with the solution they have....and have the sense to be looking for business-functional improvements, rather than looking for "Blue Bells" and "Red Whistles".

My skin is thin and raw, from the amount of sweat and blood I've lost using other johnny-come-lately tools.

When somebody shows me a tool that 'noticably and consistantly' enables me to do better (and more) than I NEED to do (as requested by my customers) than I can do at the moment....then I'll think about moving up/down the 'new gadget' chain. In the meantime, I'll keep my sanity!
Go to Top of Page

TimChenAllen
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-21 : 04:21:48
quote:
Originally posted by p2bl

I use java,which is not in the list

I write a good deal of Java, and there are a lot of folks who connect to SQL Server using Perl/DBI

--
Timothy Chen Allen
Go to Top of Page

tinks
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-24 : 04:24:03
Hey there should be an other - i code predominantly in powerbuilder for the front end and sql for the back end - trying to get the company to move all processing to stored procs and slowly winning ... me likes sql...

Taryn-Vee
@>-'-,---
Go to Top of Page

AaronSC
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2003-12-12 : 06:43:38
I have the pleasure (or not) of working on three or four dotNet projects that are a combination of C# and VB. If it was my choice, I would go for C# every time, although VB.net (IMHO) is much better than VB6. But since all of the apps are using SQL Server 2000, and everything is done in stored procedures, I had to put TSQL. It will be great when we are able to do our stored procedures in C#/VB, then the answer will be different.

Aaron Collett
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2003-12-12 : 06:47:33
quote:

It will be great when we are able to do our stored procedures in C#/VB,

NO NO NO NO NO

The CLR integration in Yukon does not replace TSQL as a data manipulation language. C# does not know how to do set based queries.

You would use C# in place of writing an extended stored proc or the sp_OA procs.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

AaronSC
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2003-12-12 : 06:53:11
quote:
Originally posted by Merkin

[quote]
It will be great when we are able to do our stored procedures in C#/VB,

The CLR integration in Yukon does not replace TSQL as a data manipulation language. C# does not know how to do set based queries.

You would use C# in place of writing an extended stored proc or the sp_OA procs.

OK, that does make some sense, since I was wondering about loads of things you do in TSQL that do not fit nicely into something like C#, mis-informed so unless you write extended sp's, there is no benefit from this feature.

Aaron Collett
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2003-12-12 : 08:15:36
Not necessarily, there are some neat things that CLR will do for you even if you don't use extended procs (user-defined aggregate functions, for example, or new datatypes) But yes, you have to be careful that you're not using C# to update data, or other operations better suited to SQL.

Best way to think about it is: you wouldn't write a TCP/IP stack in T-SQL, so you shouldn't use C# to select or update data.
Go to Top of Page

AaronSC
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2003-12-12 : 08:20:28
quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

Not necessarily, there are some neat things that CLR will do for you even if you don't use extended procs (user-defined aggregate functions, for example, or new datatypes) But yes, you have to be careful that you're not using C# to update data, or other operations better suited to SQL.

Best way to think about it is: you wouldn't write a TCP/IP stack in T-SQL, so you shouldn't use C# to select or update data.

Where is the best place to look for in depth information on Yukon, other than a general web crawl. The info at MS that I saw does not go into detail, is there a thread in this forum?

Aaron Collett
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2003-12-12 : 08:26:55
There is a WEALTH of information on Yukon here:

http://www.sqlteam.com/item.asp?ItemID=14941

And more if you look at Microsoft's PDC Sessions site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/events/pdc/agendaandsessions/sessions/default.aspx

If there is a lack of detail, it is probably due to features not being finalized yet.
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2003-12-12 : 08:53:43
I've probably spent more time writing assembler than anything else - will I be able to use it for stored procedures?

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

elatagaw
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2004-01-09 : 06:46:17
Someone help how to write a code in vb6 that retrieve the available sql server in your LAN
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -