Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Poll Discussion
 Poll: How often do you run Profiler or Trace?

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-12 : 09:23:57
This thread goes with the poll How often do you run Profiler or Trace?.

VyasKN
SQL Server MVP & SQLTeam MVY

313 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-17 : 12:19:38
I use both Profiler and scripted traces regularly.

--
HTH,
Vyas
http://vyaskn.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-17 : 12:47:48
Depends on the environment.
If everything is based on a single sql server then can get info about what is going on from system tables and code put in SPs.

If it's controlled by external apps - VB, c++, crystal reports, dts, asp, ... then I'll use the profiler a lot to see what the app is really sending to the server

So at the company I am at at the moment I rarely use it (in fact this just prompted me to make sure I can run it) whereas at another company I have the profiler loaded permanently because I use it so often for people who are convinced that the server isn't giving the correct data.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-17 : 14:09:36
I run traces regularly using Profiler. I have never used a scripted trace.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-20 : 10:23:15
quote:
Originally posted by nr

Depends on the environment.
If everything is based on a single sql server then can get info about what is going on from system tables and code put in SPs.

If it's controlled by external apps - VB, c++, crystal reports, dts, asp, ... then I'll use the profiler a lot to see what the app is really sending to the server

So at the company I am at at the moment I rarely use it (in fact this just prompted me to make sure I can run it) whereas at another company I have the profiler loaded permanently because I use it so often for people who are convinced that the server isn't giving the correct data.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.

How true is that! Half the time I spend is proving the devloper wrong....

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

MuadDBA

628 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-24 : 13:43:54
We have so many third party applications and users using Access to connect to our databases here that it's pretty much a given that I am going to have to open a trace window at LEAST once per month. Now that they are moving me away from DBA work and mroe toward developer work, this is going to taper off a bit, but I still find myself assisting the support area (who has yet to find a qualified replacement, they just want me to document things so a monkey could understand them) quite a bit.

Go to Top of Page

AndrewMurphy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2916 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-25 : 09:12:58
Monkeys?....them things that sit beside you in work? Hmmm....I must invest in some companies producing Monkeys, there's great demand for them over here as well.
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-25 : 15:34:23
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewMurphy

Monkeys?....them things that sit beside you in work? Hmmm....I must invest in some companies producing Monkeys, there's great demand for them over here as well.

I should really post this link in the corral...

http://www.newtechusa.com/ppi/main.asp

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-25 : 22:36:54
That was posted here a while ago Brett:

http://www.sqlteam.com/filtertopics.asp?topicID=149

Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-26 : 11:31:50
Damn.....so that's where I originally saw it....

Have the home page tacked to my wall....

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-26 : 19:33:36
So you have a printout of the intarweb ?

I love profiler, it's one of the best tools I have for debugging. If you get a chance, use it to take a look at what Cold Fusion does when you call a stored proc. When you stop twitching in the foetal position on the floor, you can consider yourself very lucky you don't have to do cold fusion development very much (if you do have to do it very much, you have my sympathy... after a 3 week project, I'm getting the hell away )

Damian
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2004-03-19 : 09:54:37
Aren't the results amazing now.....

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

ditch
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1466 Posts

Posted - 2004-03-19 : 11:56:34
I use Script Traces regularly, and Profiler not as much as I should be!

Duane.
Go to Top of Page

JozzaTheWick
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-22 : 10:03:42
Where was the option for 'I have the Profiler open right now'? :) And as much as I use it to prove the other developer wrong, I also use it to make sure I'm right before making a dumbass out of myself :D And I'm working with a SQL Server / Coldfusion app! I don't see that much though, probably because I've filtered out everything but the procedure names themselves. Now Crystal Reports - that's freaky.

But I don't even know what script traces are. Yikes.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -