Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2000)
 Problem with Returned Recordset

Author  Topic 

RoLYroLLs
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

255 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-16 : 01:27:11
Hey gals and guys! Here's a question for all:

I wrote the following sproc:

CREATE procedure rolyrolls.proc_Search
@TypeID int,
@MakeID int,
@YearFrom smallint,
@YearTo smallint,
@MilesFrom int,
@MilesTo int,
@ZIP nchar(5),
@Mile nchar(5)
as
DECLARE @ZIPCode nchar(5)
SET @ZIPCode = @ZIP

DECLARE @Miles REAL
SET @Miles = @Mile

DECLARE @RowCount int
SELECT @RowCount = Count(*) FROM ZipCodes.dbo.ZIPCodes WHERE ZIPCode = @ZIPCode AND CityType = 'D'

if @RowCount > 0
begin
SELECT Color.Color AS [Int], Color_1.Color AS Ext, DealershipModel.*, Model.*, Make.*, Type.*, Condition.*,
Dealership.*, MakeType.*, ClassInvoiceDetail.*, ClassInvoice.*, ClassTypePrice.*, ClassType.*, ZipCodes.dbo.DistanceAssistant
(z.Latitude,z.Longitude,r.Latitude,r.Longitude) As Distance
FROM Type INNER JOIN ((MakeType INNER JOIN (Make INNER JOIN Model ON Make.MakeID = Model.MakeID) ON MakeType.MakeTypeID
= Make.MakeTypeID) INNER JOIN (Dealership INNER JOIN (Condition INNER JOIN (Color INNER JOIN ((ClassType INNER JOIN
ClassTypePrice ON ClassType.ClassTypeID = ClassTypePrice.ClassTypeID) INNER JOIN ((ClassInvoice INNER JOIN ClassInvoiceDetail ON
ClassInvoice.ClassInvoiceID = ClassInvoiceDetail.ClassInvoiceID) INNER JOIN (DealershipModel INNER JOIN Color AS Color_1 ON
DealershipModel.ExtColorID = Color_1.ColorID) ON ClassInvoiceDetail.ClassInvoiceDetailID = DealershipModel.ClassInvoiceDetailID)
ON ClassTypePrice.ClassTypePriceID = ClassInvoiceDetail.ClassTypePriceID) ON Color.ColorID = DealershipModel.IntColorID) ON
Condition.ConditionID = DealershipModel.ConditionID) ON Dealership.DealershipID = ClassInvoice.DealershipID) ON Model.ModelID =
DealershipModel.ModelID) ON Type.TypeID = DealershipModel.TypeID INNER JOIN zipcodes.dbo.ZipCodes z ON
Dealership.DealershipZipCode = z.ZIPCode, ZipCodes.dbo.RadiusAssistant(@ZIPCode,@Miles) r
WHERE ((((Model.MakeID)=@MakeID) OR ((Type.TypeID)=@TypeID) OR (((DealershipModel.DealershipModelYear) Between @YearFrom
And @YearTo) AND ((DealershipModel.Mileage) Between @MilesFrom And @MilesTo) AND ((Model.MakeID)=@MakeID))) AND
((DealershipModel.DealershipModelAvailable)=1) AND ((DealershipModel.DealershipModelDeleted)=0) AND
((Dealership.DealershipActive)=1) AND ((Dealership.DealershipApproved)=1) AND ((MakeType.MakeType)='normal') AND
((ClassInvoiceDetail.ClassInvoiceDetailExpired)=0) AND ((ClassInvoice.ClassInvoiceVoid)=0) AND
((DealershipModel.DealershipModelRenew)=0) AND ((ClassInvoiceDetail.ClassInvoiceDetailPaymentDue)=0) AND z.Latitude <= r.MaxLat
AND z.Latitude >= r.MinLat AND z.Longitude <= r.MaxLong AND z.Longitude >= r.MinLong AND CityType = 'D' AND ZIPCodeType <> 'M'
AND ZipCodes.dbo.DistanceAssistant(z.Latitude,z.Longitude,r.Latitude,r.Longitude) <= @Miles)
ORDER BY Distance , DealershipModel.DealershipModelYear DESC , DealershipModel.Mileage;
end
GO

I ran the sp on QA and it returned the proper results and data. I tested it on my dev server and web page, and ran great. When I transfered this to the prod server, I found that half the data was missing, even when i ran the sp on the prod on QA. I found that by changing the SELCT line to this:

SELECT *, Color.Color AS [Int], Color_1.Color AS Ext, ZipCodes.dbo.DistanceAssistant
(z.Latitude,z.Longitude,r.Latitude,r.Longitude) As Distance

I got more of the data but was still missing one of the colors (the 'ext' one). Then I changed it to:

SELECT Color.Color AS [Int], Color_1.Color AS Ext, ZipCodes.dbo.DistanceAssistant
(z.Latitude,z.Longitude,r.Latitude,r.Longitude) As Distance, *

and got everything I needed. I went thru every sp, over 230 of them, and made modifications to make sure th '*' part at the end. Now I find that I do not get all the data i need for a few other sp's.

Anyone still with me? Maybe there is a problem with returning too many fields? Or is there something else I'm not aware of? Remember it all works fine at the home dev server. Any input would be great!

Thanks to all!

- RoLY roLLs

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-16 : 02:57:28
This is a great example of why you should never, ever, ever ,ever, ever, ever, ever use '*' in a query.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

RoLYroLLs

255 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-16 : 12:30:45
Sounds good to me. But how about some detailed info on this.

Let's say on the example above I have about 50, 60 or say 100 (for discussion purposes) fields returned and need every single one. Must I type out each field? Do problems arise after a certain amount of fields, or a certain amount of data?

I've been converting my db from access to sql so my sprocs are not optimized. I'm just making sure that everything still works the way they should. I used '*' beause as I was designing, there were times clients wanted a new field to add which needed to be returned in several queries so it eliminated me having to go the queries to change them. I realize I may get data I won't need or use, but with 230+ queries it was a hassle.

Thanks.

- RoLY roLLs
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-16 : 13:23:47
The problem will only on number of records if you do use '*'. The query is going to have to figure out what fields are in these tables. This can cause a large amount of contention in your system tables and slow the entire system down.

You "want" to have to changet the sprocs when you change the structure underneath. I know this seems like a pain, but it will stop the very thing you have occurring now. There is not "variable" in the picture. If you have different structures in different environments, they query will still return the same results. You will then go through a progression of dev/test/prod to see the changes promote through your environments.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

RoLYroLLs

255 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-16 : 16:30:16
Thank you. I'll have to work on that. I also fixed this post to prevent sideways-scrolling, sorry for that.

- RoLY roLLs
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -