Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Linked Server: Excel Spreadsheet - Error.

Author  Topic 

JLatiolait
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-20 : 14:05:11
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but REALLY hoping for some help... I find no entry in this forum for this error.

I have 'no' problem executing a specific query on a Linked Server / Excel spreadheet through Query Analyzer (Administrator) or through an ASP page connecting through Login setup with: Server Role - Systems Administrator. However any other lesser Login / Server Role yields:

ERROR -
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (0x80040E14)
Could not create an instance of OLE DB provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0'

NOTES:
* Link Server Properties / Security is - DEFAULT
* Permissions on Excel spreadsheet & directory are - Everyone
* SQL Server 7.0 SP4

I believe what I'm looking for are the What and How on setting the permissons on Login executing this query against the linked server / Excel Spreadsheet?

Can someone please assist.

Thanks, j

Stoad
Freaky Yak Linguist

1983 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-20 : 17:26:43
SELECT * FROM OPENDATASOURCE('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',
'Data Source=C:\my.xls;Extended Properties=Excel 8.0')...[Sheet1$]

How it goes (in QA) for a non-admin user?
Go to Top of Page

JLatiolait
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-20 : 21:33:15
hi Stoad,

thanks for the reply.

SELECT * FROM CDT_EXCEL...[Sheet1$] - this is the syntax for the linked server as i understand it. it works in boht QA and ASP as long as i Login has Admin. priv......

however, the adhoc syntax you give NOW works, after i've setup a Linked Server-? i had tried your syntax before, as an adhoc query, but the "error" i received told me to setup a linked server...

all i can think of is that when i setup the Link Server it changed a registry setting that then allowed the adhoc query wihtout error???

any ideas?

Go to Top of Page

Stoad
Freaky Yak Linguist

1983 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-21 : 04:28:58
Strangely! My ad hoc query must work without setting up any linked servers. Not sure what to say right now.
Go to Top of Page

JLatiolait
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-25 : 14:31:10
ANSWER:
Setting up Linked Server provides options under the provider pane. Option to "disallow ad-hoc.." if you check and then uncheck this config. it write the approrpriate key to the registry.
Go to Top of Page

Stoad
Freaky Yak Linguist

1983 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-26 : 05:04:35
merci beaucoup for the info...
have you resolved your trouble? if so, what it was?
Go to Top of Page

JLatiolait
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-26 : 11:31:22
i'm running my query as ad-hoc (what you note above)... never was able to run the Links Server syntax. this is fine for my app.

i setup the LS just to change the registr setting to enable ad-hoc access... (the key appears to be missing by default) alternatively, i could have added/edited the registry mannually.

:)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -