Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Hardware recommendation for SQL 2K cluster server

Author  Topic 

fredong
Yak Posting Veteran

80 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-19 : 11:16:43
I am new to clustering and I need Hardware recommendation for SQL 2000 cluster server. Anybody knows what will be a good hardware recommendation for a 2 nodes and a 4 nodes clustering. Thanks.

k

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-19 : 13:21:05
It depends :)

You need to analyze your existing system, and see where your bottleneck are.

Here are a few generlizations:
1. Get as much RAM as you can afford. You want enough to put your entire DB in memory if possible.

2. Get as many spindles as your can afford. I'd reccomend a Fibre Channel solution from IBM, EMC, Hitachi, HP, etc.
You'll want two disks for Quorum and TX Logs, 4-8 Disks for data in RAID 1/0. Here again, it depends on how hard you hit TX Logs and how hard you hit your data. 8 disks might be overkill for your data and 2 disks might not be enough for TXLogs.

Personally, I don't care for the EMC hardware. I've used IBM for servers and storage on my last two clusters, and I've been very pleased.

Michael

<Yoda>Use the Search page you must. Find the answer you will.</Yoda>
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

483 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-19 : 16:50:16
this guy is having serious problems with IBM's blade series and SQL Server.

http://www.dbforums.com/t1149752.html

Sean Roussy
Go to Top of Page

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-19 : 18:15:01
I'm not sure I'd reccomend Blade Center or VMWare for a production SQL Server Cluster.

Get (2) IBM x345's or (2) IBM x445's and attach them to an IBM FastT700 (there's some new model number like DS4400 or something).
Get enough disk trays and disks to make your system happy, and that should be the last hardware you buy for awhile depending on how big you go day one.

Michael

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-19 : 18:23:51
We use HP DL740s on our 3 way cluster.

Since you are new to clustering, I'd suggest bringing somebody in that can help you set it up.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-19 : 20:34:15
Yes, what Tara said. I highly suggest getting some consultants in to look at your system, see what you need, design a cluster to suit those needs, and then set it up. Generally, they'll not sell you a disk array without selling installation with it anyway.

Michael

Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-19 : 22:08:21
If you want a good cluster system and don't want to pay huge dough, you could get the HP packaged cluster. The one that ships with an MSA1000 mini-SAN. that is a good little 2 way system.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/solutions/enterprise/highavailability/dl380/index-msa1000.html

We purchased 3 of these things (actually it was based on the G3 DL380 then) at the last place I worked. We replaced two SQL 2000 clusters and an Exchange EMail cluster.

One of the SQL clusters was for external b2b type work with around 8000 customers hitting it pretty hard. The new boxes never even broke a sweat. We had replaced some aging DL580 G1 boxes with this system so we had quite a bit more power (900mhz DL580 compared to 2.8GHz DL380 G3). The older boxes were constantly busy btw. Anyway, these are nice machines and the MSA1000 is a decently fast performing fiber channel based SAN.

If you don't have any idea where to start, and you have no idea how much load you are going to have to handle, this system is a pretty safe step to take. It is inexpensive as far as cluster solutions go, it works very well and it has decent potential for handling a large load.

Also, I am assuming that you don't have an existing SAN infrastructure, if you do then you might be wasting some money on this packaged cluster because it ships with the MSA1000 SAN.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -