Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Is NOLOCKS faster

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-17 : 10:39:33
Billy writes "If I use NOLOCKS on my select statements; and I am not worried about dirty reads, then is it faster (under all circumstances)?

Billy"

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-17 : 10:41:15
It's not always faster, it simply keeps the query from being blocked by uncommitted transactions. It's usually more a case between getting your data or not at all.
Go to Top of Page

LinuxLars
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-18 : 07:51:50
Yes, it's faster because SQLServer will bypass locking in the query. You will see uncommitted rows, but if that's OK with you, it is advisable for performance.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-18 : 08:12:30
I can't think of m/any circumstances where I'm happy to show records to the user that might be "wrong" and them make life changing decisions based on what they saw

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-18 : 10:08:03
quote:
Originally posted by LinuxLars

Yes, it's faster because SQLServer will bypass locking in the query. You will see uncommitted rows, but if that's OK with you, it is advisable for performance.

That is a very bad practice to get into.

The default of read/committed is best 99.99% of the time, unless you have a poorly designed application.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

nosepicker
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

366 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-18 : 18:23:50
From Joe Chang in an article on sql-server-performance.com:
quote:
Now it turns out SQL Server 2000 has limited ability to read from disk in a table scan operation. Without hints, SQL Server 2000 table scan operation in most systems will generate between 300-400MB/sec in disk reads. With the NOLOCK hint, the table scan might generate between 700-800MB/sec in disk traffic. If the configured storage system has less sequential capacity than this, a table scan can saturate the disk system, and cause a substantial degradation in transaction driven disk IO. If the storage system can handle both the sequential table scan and transaction random IO load, then there may be little to no degradation in transaction throughput, depending on the availability of CPU and other resources.

The rest of the article is about system and storage configuration w/resp to SQL Server in general. It's a good read:
[url]http://www.sql-server-performance.com/jc_system_storage_configuration.asp
[/url]
Go to Top of Page

blindman
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2365 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-18 : 23:53:25
quote:
Originally posted by nosepicker

quote:
Now it turns out SQL Server 2000 has limited ability to read from disk in a table scan operation.

Perhaps some effort should be put into avoiding the table scan in the first place...
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-19 : 09:03:09
oh indexes, oh indexes!!
our favorite little construct
be it clustered (YES)
or non clustered (YES)
seeks is what we want!!

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Blog thingie: [URL="http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/mladenp"]
Go to Top of Page

blindman
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2365 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-19 : 09:30:52
Ogden Nash as database developer...
Go to Top of Page

mmarovic
Aged Yak Warrior

518 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-19 : 09:45:21
quote:
Originally posted by blindman

quote:
Originally posted by nosepicker

quote:
Now it turns out SQL Server 2000 has limited ability to read from disk in a table scan operation.

Perhaps some effort should be put into avoiding the table scan in the first place...

I guess that the same applies to index scan and even index range scan.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2006-04-19 : 09:55:03
I'll echo Kristen and MJV's opinions, if your database relies on NOLOCK hints for performance you have a serious problem. And even if that throughput benefit extended to index scans, you'd lose all of it to the associated bookmark lookups, or the query optimizer would choose to do a table scan anyway.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -