Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Linked Server and Stored Procedures

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-10 : 08:17:37
Dan writes "First off, thanks for all the good work you guys have been doing. I read almost all of what you write and it has helped me become a better DBA. On that note...

I have 8 linked sql servers which contain the same table sturcture's etc... Just splitting up millions of records for faster performance. Now I need to match up 'reversed' records(one claim comes in... then later that claim is rejected, need to pull the original claim out) and remove them from the active tables. So i need to search thru all 8 server blades looking for them... Is it possible to write a stored proc to dynamically search thru all the blades thru linked server? Do i concatenate the full server path? server.database.owner.tablename?"

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-10 : 08:21:01
I personally wouldn't use a linked server for this, although I'm sure it's possible to do so. I would export the reversed claim IDs to a text file, then have a scheduled job on each server import that file and delete claims that match those IDs. It should be pretty fast with bcp and/or BULK INSERT and you avoid having to do cross-server joins, which I've always found to be slow.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-05-10 : 08:48:40
Horizontal Federated Partitioned Views thingamajig that can efficiently query all the tables in one strike?

The various table-copies would need to have different constraints on their PK for this to work ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -