Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Problem restoring to a new server

Author  Topic 

jpresley
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-05 : 11:13:30
I am working on a site redesign which attaches to an MS SQL backend. The hosting company sent me a backup copy of the DB. I am trying to restore the db into my SQL Server but keep getting an error. I created an empty DB and then backed up that DB. I then replaced the .bak from my db with the .bak file he sent to me in a zip document. I then tried to do a DB restore through enterprise manager and recieved this error:

Device activation error. The physical file name 'd:\sql\database\mssql\data\stklaweb_db_data.mdf' may be incorrect. File 'stklaweb_db_data' cannot be restored to 'd:\sql\database\mssql\data\stklaweb_db_data.mdf'. Use With Move to identify a valid location for the file. Device activation err. The physical file name 'd:\sql\database\mssql\data\stklaweb_db_data.ldf' may be incorrect. File 'stklaweb_db_data' cannot be restored to 'd:\sql\database\mssql\data\stklaweb_db_data.ldf'. Use With Move to identify a valid location for the file. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

I need to get this db restored asap. Any suggestions/help would be GREATLY appriciated!!!

Jason

DMcCallie
Yak Posting Veteran

62 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-05 : 11:28:30
Delete the newly created empty database as that sounds like part of the problem.

In EM right click on Databases, Click All Tasks, Click Restore Database. In the "Restore as database:" field key the name of the new database. In the "Restore:" section choose "From Device". Browse for the .bak database backup file that you received. Double check all options....Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

nitin1353
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

381 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-05 : 12:38:14
hi
Please follow these steps
1)restore verifyonly from disk = 'Location of backup file'

2)restore filelistonly from disk = 'Location of backup file'

3)restore database DbName from disk = 'Location of backup file'
with
move 'logicalfilename' to 'New location',
move 'LOgical file name' to 'New location'

first step checks the validity of backup file
second tep will give you the logical file names
third step will restore the DB

Regards
Go to Top of Page

jpresley
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-05 : 13:01:54
I deleted the db and tried restoring from device and got the same error message. I then checked the box to Read backup set information and add to backup history. This gave me the original name of the db which I did not have. After loading that info into the history I did a restore using the original name of the db and that seemed to work. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-06-05 : 13:02:54
SQL Server is basically just trying to restore their backup to the original locations, and logical names, that the original server used.

For help with the syntax of the RESTORE command see:

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55210&SearchTerms=RESTORE%20syntax%20/%20example

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -