Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 delete statement in function

Author  Topic 

mrleokarthik
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-19 : 07:59:18
Is it possible to create a function that deletes records from a table ?

CREATE FUNCTION F_TSImported_Delete()
returns int
as
Begin
delete from ts_imported
return 0
end
GO

This throws error like this:
Invalid use of side-effecting or time-dependent operator in 'DELETE' within a function.

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-19 : 08:01:19
Nope. This is not allowed

KH

Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-19 : 08:06:33
also refer to here http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/createdb/cm_8_des_08_460j.asp

KH

Go to Top of Page

Srinika
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1378 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-19 : 09:21:22
U can create a stored procedure instead

Srinika
Go to Top of Page

mrleokarthik
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2006-07-19 : 10:09:13
quote:
Originally posted by mrleokarthik

Is it possible to create a function that deletes records from a table ?

CREATE FUNCTION F_TSImported_Delete()
returns int
as
Begin
delete from ts_imported
return 0
end
GO

This throws error like this:
Invalid use of side-effecting or time-dependent operator in 'DELETE' within a function.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, i can use Stored procedure
Go to Top of Page

JustDaveN
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2009-12-30 : 10:20:20
Just as an FYI, you can call a stored procedure from within your function. If you need to keep what you are doing as a function, you can take the external table changes and put it in a stored proc, then call it.

A lot of folks would ask why you would want to do this. For my specific example, I had written a table function that was used in several stored procedures. It worked well as the function ended up changing and rather than having to change this block of code in 10 or more procs, I only had to change it once. Later, a business requirement was added to log some intermediate calculations that were used in determining the data set returned. I added a procedure call to log the value in an external table.

HTH
David
Go to Top of Page

Transact Charlie
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3451 Posts

Posted - 2009-12-30 : 10:40:26
quote:
Originally posted by JustDaveN

Just as an FYI, you can call a stored procedure from within your function. If you need to keep what you are doing as a function, you can take the external table changes and put it in a stored proc, then call it.

A lot of folks would ask why you would want to do this. For my specific example, I had written a table function that was used in several stored procedures. It worked well as the function ended up changing and rather than having to change this block of code in 10 or more procs, I only had to change it once. Later, a business requirement was added to log some intermediate calculations that were used in determining the data set returned. I added a procedure call to log the value in an external table.

HTH
David

Eh -- no you cant!

At least you can't in 2005 or in 2000. I don't know about 2008. Functions can't change data The procedures and other external objects you can call from inside a function are very limited.

Example

CREATE PROCEDURE cg_write_val
AS BEGIN
SELECT 'a' AS [Foo] INTO _test
END
GO

CREATE FUNCTION myFunc
(@foo INT) RETURNS INT
AS BEGIN
EXEC cg_write_val
SET @foo = -1
RETURN @foo
END
GO

SELECT dbo.myFunc(1)

Give the error on run:

Msg 557, Level 16, State 2, Line 2
Only functions and extended stored procedures can be executed from within a function.

EDIT : HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN!
Charlie
===============================================================
Msg 3903, Level 16, State 1, Line 1736
The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -