Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 How to recover deleted database data?

Author  Topic 

qingchengottawa
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-18 : 14:40:38
I accidentally deleted some useful data in my database. I have both .LDF and .MDF files for this database.
Is there a way to recover this database to a point of time?
Thx.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-18 : 15:30:21
If you have backup, then restore it. In order to restore to a point in time, you'll also need the transaction log backup that contains this data plus the entire transaction log chain since the last full backup. If you don't have these, then you'll need to purchase a third party tool such as Lumigent's Log Explorer to read the transaction log.

If you don't have a good backup solution in place, now is the time to start.

Also, you posted your question in the data corruption forum. Your problem is not with corrupted data but rather user error.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-18 : 15:31:24
The easiest thing to do would be to restore from the database backups to a new database, and then apply the transaction log backups up to the desired point in time. Then copy the data you need from the new database to the old one.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-21 : 11:03:55
One extra possibility is that you have a Full Backup and your database is using a Recovery Model of FULL. In that case you could now take a transaction backup, and then restore Full + Transaction backups in the way that Tara and MVJ describe

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

benjo
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-26 : 04:04:47
they all are right but i don't have any idea.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-27 : 13:18:37
quote:
Originally posted by benjo

they all are right but i don't have any idea.

What's the point of the post them?

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -