Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 LogShipping Transaction Log Backup Error

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-05 : 10:43:17
Anna writes "Hi All,

I have set up logshipping between two servers. The transactional log backups are set to run evey 10 minutes. The problem is that, the Transaction Log Backup job on the primary server keeps failing at certain times, for instance every 30 minutes (it runs fine at the 10th, 20th, 40th minutes etc, but just fails every 30th minute eg it fails at 7:30, 8:00, 8:30 etc) it is totally random. If I configure logshipping again, it fails at another interval.

I do not have another transactional log backup set-up on that server nor do I have DTSs that copy objects from this server to another (I learnt that these could interrupt transaction backups).

I'm not sure what is still causing the backup to fail at certain times. Following, please find the error on the event log:
Source: SQLSERVERAGENT
Category: Job Engine
Event ID: 208
Type: Warning
SQL Server Version: 2000, SP3

SQL Server Scheduled Job 'Transaction Log Backup Job for DB Maintenance Plan 'LogShipping_Timesheeting'' (0xD66AD2C1F7537C409C34CC6DB263D5CF) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2007-02-28 08:00:03 - Message: The job failed. The Job was invoked by Schedule 80 (Schedule 1). The last step to run was step 1 (Step 1).

I have reconfigured log shipping several times, but it still keeps failing at random intervals and hence doesnt seem stable to me. Could transactional locking cause such problems? Am I missing anything? What can I do to prevent it from happening?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

Cheers,
Anna."

rlaubert
Yak Posting Veteran

96 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-08 : 11:11:29
Do you have another backup process in place that is locking the transaction log? Is there a process running that is setting up database transaction levels periodically?

Raymond Laubert
MCDBA, MCITP:Administration, MCT
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -