Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Analysis Services (2000)
 Set-Theoretic description of Analysis Services?

Author  Topic 

MarkKnutson
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2007-05-01 : 11:50:10
I was reading Melomed, et al, on Analysis Services and their explanation of the conceptual framework of the databases has some set-theoretic wordage, but it seems like a lot of it was re-worded for mass-audience.

Thing is, I am more used to understanding these things based on sets of sets, tuples, and all those wonderful set-theoretic things, and some of the imprecise, user-friendly, language has confused me on some points.

I am wondering if there are discussions of these matters which is more mathematically rigorous--I get the impression that the designers of the product think in these terms and then try to translate to more accessible prose. If such discussions are available somewhere, I would be interested in readin them.

But on very specific point, I can ask this: My reading of the definitions leads me to conclude that a Dimension is a set of objects (sets of attributes) of interest in analysis. Problem is, I see the Attribute as being the same thing, and having trouble distinguishing the two without more precise explanation.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me, I thank you in advance.

PS. I am doing some more reading and there is some discussion that the Attribute is the set of all possible values a dimension member can take, so it is essentially a domain. Again, interested in confirmation or clarification on this.

- Advertisement -