Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 restoring system database

Author  Topic 

MonsterZero
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-06 : 02:26:27
Hi, i am trying to restore a database onto an sql2000 enterprise server and having 2 problems.
The first is when i try to restore from device, select device and then select Add.
The error message says Error 0: cannont load the DLL xpstar.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason:127(error not found)
I select ok and type in the path instead E.G. c:\backup\master.bak
(running sqlservr -m option)
The file name is in the device name and when i click on ok it says "the backup of the system database on device c:\backup\master.bak cannot be restored because it was created by a different version of the server (134219767) than this server (134218488) RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally".

I can understand why it's not working for the different patches/ hotfixes, but how can i find out which patches/hotfixes are needed to get it to this version?
Both servers are running SP4 and give the same build info when i use query analyser.

Also i have uninstalled/ reinstalled SQL +SP4 on the new machine, but it seems to not be updating/installing the xpstar.dll - i have tried copying that file from the server that is currently running the databases, but i still get the error message.

Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated

hvdtol
Yak Posting Veteran

50 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-06 : 05:34:58
Check this link; maybe an MDAC issue

http://www.dbtalk.net/microsoft-public-sqlserver-server/error-0-cannot-load-dll-239558.html

Regards,

hvdtol
Go to Top of Page

MohammedU
Posting Yak Master

145 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-06 : 15:39:09
When you run SELECT @@VERSION, you should get the same build number on both servers...
SP4 could be without cumulative hotfix or with cumulative hotfix...
So run SELECT @@version both servers and compare the builds..or
you run the following query on both server and make sure you get the same results...

SELECT CONVERT(char(20), SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion')) Build

You can also move the logins instead of restoring master...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314546/EN-US/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264474/EN-US/
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/307775

MohammedU
Go to Top of Page

MonsterZero
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-06 : 23:01:28
Thanks for the replies.
I ran the MDAC checker and it did find a few mismatched fields, i will reaply it later tonight when the users are not connected.

I ran @@VERSION and SELECT CONVERT(char(20), SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion')) Build - both servers have the same info.

Any more suggestions?

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-07 : 04:28:12
You might like to try using the RESTORE command direct, instead of via the GUI interface.

It isn't going to give you a different error message but it may give you more Info, and it should be easier to save a script so that you can try repeating the action easily, without having to click around everything ...

See: http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55210&SearchTerms=RESTORE%20syntax%20/%20example,Restore

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

MonsterZero
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-12 : 04:52:28
Hi guys, back again.
I was able to fix the xpstar.dll problem by running the depends.exe file in the win 2k3 support tools. It showed me a few other *.dll's that were not functioning or not installed properly (like ms java)and a problem with sqlsvc.dll which i copied from another copy of sql server. Handy tool, can't believe i didn't use it to begin with.

I am still experiencing problems restoring the database with the error message - "the backup of the system database on device c:\backup\master.bak cannot be restored because it was created by a different version of the server (134219767) than this server (134218488) RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally"

both servers were running 8.00.2039 - select @@version in query analyser.
so after getting impatient i patched the server with hotfix version 8.00.2187 - do a select @@version on the machine and it says 8.00.2187 but when i start the server in single user mode (sqlservr -m) and run query analyser it says i am running 8.00.760.
Am i suppose to be patching something else on the system?

Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-12 : 12:08:01
No other patch. Tried restore master again?
Go to Top of Page

MonsterZero
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-12 : 17:50:03
yeah it still doesn't work; spits the different version error message at me. Could it be a patch with the OS? there are a couple available XML updates from MS.
That is pretty much the only thing i can think of. I backed up the databases and built a temp win2k3 server using sql2000 and that had no problems restoreing the master DB, i patched that up with the latest patches/ hotfixes except for win2k3 SP2 and IE7.
This server is a production server; it's a DC, exchange box (don't blast me for that - i didn't build it) the server will be rebuilt as a user "dump" server in about 4-6 weeks (no other services) i could wait till then, but i would prefer not.

I have run out of ideas, if anyone can think of something please send my way.

regards,

MZ
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-12 : 18:39:13
OS shouldn't affect sql db. Is source server still available? Double check version number on it if so.
Go to Top of Page

MonsterZero
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-12 : 19:03:35
nah, the problem started when i tried to copy the databases to my test server (which is now in production) i accidently chanegd the system startup paramters, so i cut my loses and rebuilt it after i was able to move the databases to my test server and restore the database (all is working fine)
Before i moved the database and even backed them up in the first place, i did check the version, it was 8.00.2039 - which is what i brought the test server up to; like i said the test server worked with no problems/ error messages.
I will backup the databases from the test (now production) server, move the DB's accross and see if it works. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for your input.

Go to Top of Page

MonsterZero
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-12 : 19:29:03
yep still no luck
just backed up the database from this server:
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2039 (Intel X86) May 3 2005 23:18:38 Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

and tried to restore on this computer:

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2187 (Intel X86) Mar 9 2006 11:38:51 Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

still same old error message.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -