Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 MSDE (2000)
 MSDE - table space reserved

Author  Topic 

Zakary
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 11:51:44
Hi everyone!
Recently I've discover that the size of my database is growing fast, and I've reach the limit of 2gig for MSDE. I've been able to free some space to give the system back to the client, then I've perform some research to find out what, lead the database growing that fast.

I've used the 'sp_spaceused' store procedure, to find out witch table consume all the space, to find that one specific table was quite large.
[CODE]
name rows reserved data index_size unused
------------------ ----------- ------------------ ------------------ ------------------ ------------------
[MyTable] 298411 1368344 KB 285728 KB 21976 KB 1060640 KB

[/CODE]

If you look i the above table, it show that 1.3 gig was reserve, and 285meg was really used. 1.3 Gig reserved
- Why do SQL reserve that space?
- The table have 18 GUID column, and a big Varchar(6900), is it due to this kind of table structure?

This database is also the main publisher of a big replication architecture

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 12:09:24
Maybe fragmented, double check with 'dbcc showcontig'.
Go to Top of Page

Zakary
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 12:38:59
Thanks for your reply

Can you help me in analyzing the result of the ShowContig command?

DBCC SHOWCONTIG scanning '[MyTable]' table...
Table: '[MyTable]' (2123154609); index ID: 0, database ID: 7
TABLE level scan performed.
- Pages Scanned................................: 22747
- Extents Scanned..............................: 2846
- Extent Switches..............................: 2845
- Avg. Pages per Extent........................: 8.0
- Scan Density [Best Count:Actual Count].......: 99.93% [2844:2846]
- Extent Scan Fragmentation ...................: 12.90%
- Avg. Bytes Free per Page.....................: 1327.2
- Avg. Page Density (full).....................: 83.60%

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 12:56:59
Run dbcc updateusage or sp_spaceused @updateusage=true to fix these inaccuracies.

Tara Kizer
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

Zakary
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 13:04:44
Can you explain a bit more ?
I just don't want to run procedure for fun, I would like to understand a bit more
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 13:05:40
reserved size doesn't matter. This just reflects the number of extents allocated to a given table. The actual amount of data contained might occupy much less space. It is possible that this table once was very large and has been pruned back or some other maintenance caused this.

If you aren't running out of space on disk then this is not something to worry about. btw, you can run the DBCC UPDATEUSAGE command to update the usage stats since they are usually inaccurate.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 13:06:06
quote:
Originally posted by Zakary

Can you explain a bit more ?
I just don't want to run procedure for fun, I would like to understand a bit more

look it up in BOL.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

Zakary
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 13:24:52
But yes it matter because we are using MSDE, and it database is limited to 2 gig, and actually 1.3 gig is consume for data reservation.

But I'll try what you, what you suggest.

quote:
Originally posted by eyechart

reserved size doesn't matter. This just reflects the number of extents allocated to a given table. The actual amount of data contained might occupy much less space. It is possible that this table once was very large and has been pruned back or some other maintenance caused this.

If you aren't running out of space on disk then this is not something to worry about. btw, you can run the DBCC UPDATEUSAGE command to update the usage stats since they are usually inaccurate.

-ec

Go to Top of Page

Zakary
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 16:13:27
OK I've solve it!
I've discover that my table didn't have any clustered index, adding the index and executing dbcc dbreindex ('[MyTable]') and DBCC UPDATEUSAGE ('[MyDatabase]') free the space, and i'Ve use exec sp_spaceused and dbcc showcontig to monitor the space used by the table in detail and index fragmentation
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 16:43:06
Creating index updates statistics, similar to 'dbcc updateusage' as said above.
Go to Top of Page

Zakary
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 16:54:56
Thanks to you rmiao and eyechart, for your reply :)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -