Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 Site Updated. Again.

Author  Topic 

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-16 : 20:02:01
Site updates will probably happen every weekend for a while. I think there will be another tomorrow too. This update included:

• Changed the background color on code displayed in an article. It's a light yellow now which I think is easier to read and looks nicer than the grey.

• At the bottom of each article there is a little box that displays the number of comments and gives people an option to sign up for the newsletter. Below that it displays the recent forum posts next to the related articles.

• Page load time improvements. This only applies to the new ASP.NET code -- which means articles, tags and authors. This was mostly the result of removing the rotating Amazon advertisement and replacing it with a static ad. When Google, Amazon or Yahoo ads display on one of the pages they are still pretty slow. There isn't much I can do about that except try to sell more advertising. :)

As always if anything seems broken please post it here.

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-18 : 05:19:39
"When Google, Amazon or Yahoo ads display on one of the pages they are still pretty slow"

We had something similar with Thawte's "Site Secure" image - which requires a call to an EXE on Thawte's site, and was making our pages slow to display.

We put a static "Click here to check" image in its place, and created a new Landing Page which displayed the real image generated by Thawte.

Our clients tend to stuff the pages full of JavaScript from Affiliates, Google Analytics etc. and then ask why its all getting rather slow - I don't think they realise how much juicy data they are sending to their Affiliates - many of whom they no longer deal with!

I expect their affiliates offer them deals which appear to be uncannily astute!

But my suggestions that we only run Affiliate JS on sessions which actually came from the Affiliate seem to fall on deaf ears ...

There are two calls in the page source (well, on the page I'm looking at anyway) to WebResource.axd - I presume that is right that there should be TWO calls?

Also two calls to Bulldog for "SiteSponsor" and then "SiteBanner". Probably also correct .... just mentioning it in case it is adding to the Delay?

I've bunged a test version of DotNetNuke on our DEV server here to look at their CMS and stuff. Its unbelieveably slow compared to our heavy abstracted CMS-driven Classic ASP rendering (even when all the DotNet stuff is cached). So I think getting DotNet to perform quickly needs a bit of Tuning!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-18 : 07:21:55
Yep, two calls to bulldog is correct. I think the webresources.axd is correct also. At least those seem to be quick. :)

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-18 : 10:28:12
"At least those seem to be quick"

Oh, OK. <SitsDownAndShutsUpAtTheBack!!>
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-18 : 10:56:54
No, no. Not at all. I'd rather have you tell me about the 10 problems I know about so I also hear about the one that I don't know about. Keep 'em coming!

To clarify ... there should be one call to bulldog for each advertisement that SQLTeam runs on the page. Those seem to be fairly fast.

The calls to webresources.axd are part of .NET and apparently involved in resources and JavaScript. I don't know that I can do much about those. Thus the comment that I'm glad they seem to be quick.

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-18 : 11:02:08
you know what i miss. the number of views for each article.

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-18 : 11:42:50
That's on my list. I'll try to remember it in the next update. I'm tracking it -- just not displaying it.

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-18 : 13:40:41
"Keep 'em coming!"

Don't worry, I've only Sat Down ... not Bunked-off-school altogether!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -