Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: What Data is in SQL Server's Memory?

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-23 : 07:38:59

SQL Server memory is primarily used to store data (buffer) and query plans (cache). In this article I'll show how much memory is allocated to the data buffer (or RAM). I'll explain how to determine what tables and indexes are in the buffer memory of your server.

Read What Data is in SQL Server's Memory?

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-23 : 09:26:09
nice.

mrDBA
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2007-08-03 : 15:55:15
Good info. I've been needing to know how our server's memory is allocated among the databases and this article is a great start. Just a small note regarding the queries in the article. If anyone uses the queries in the article and run across arithmetic overflows, just change the count(*) to count_big(*) and all should be well.

A good start on sql mem usage and I'm curiously waiting on the next articles!

He is no fool that gives that which he cannot hope to keep to gain that which he can never lose.
Go to Top of Page

RandallE
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-08-06 : 15:36:09
Apologies for what's probably an obvious question.......

Should red flags pop up when you see a the entire clustered index of a large table show up in the buffer? Is it time for additional indexes? Or a candidate for clustering on a different column(s)?

thx,
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2007-08-06 : 15:44:22
well i'd say that that's good since you have practicaly the whole table in memory.

RandallE
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-08-06 : 16:19:35
quote:
Originally posted by spirit1

well i'd say that that's good since you have practicaly the whole table in memory.

But that signals a tablescan, no? Shouldn't proper indexing pull just tiny slices of the data pages into memory?
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2007-08-06 : 16:58:25
It doesn't signal a table scan. It just says that SQL Server had enough memory to keep all (or almost all) or the table in memory. SQL Server will determine what pages it's most efficient to keep in memory. In your case it happened to be most of a table.

It *may* have ended up in memory because of a table scan but just being in memory doesn't imply a table scan.

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

henrik staun poulsen
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2007-08-08 : 02:22:27
SELECT LEFT(CASE database_id
WHEN 32767 THEN 'ResourceDb'
ELSE db_name(database_id)
END, 20) AS Database_Name,
count_big(*)AS Buffered_Page_Count,
count_big(*) * 8192 / (1024 * 1024) as Buffer_Pool_MB
FROM sys.dm_os_buffer_descriptors
GROUP BY db_name(database_id) ,database_id
ORDER BY Buffered_Page_Count DESC
Go to Top of Page

urdba
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-18 : 17:03:02
quote:
Originally posted by AskSQLTeam

<p>SQL Server memory is primarily used to store data (buffer) and query plans (cache). In this article I'll show how much memory is allocated to the data buffer (or RAM). I'll explain how to determine what tables and indexes are in the buffer memory of your server.</p>

Read <a href="/article/what-data-is-in-sql-server-memory">What Data is in SQL Server's Memory?</a>

hi,

Read all three articles about data buffer, procedure cache, and parametrization. Very good information for SS 2005.

Do you have similar queries/views for how to look at info in data buffer and procedure cache for SQL Server 2000?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-19 : 08:20:19
You may be able to get some of the same information from DBCC MEMORYSTATUS (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271624) but it won't be nearly as good. These DMV's are one of the cool new features of SQL Server 2005.

=================================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today. One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -