Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Best steps to becoming a DBA.

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2001-09-13 : 10:13:31
Wayne writes "I have knowledge of MS Access but would like to get involved in administration of databases such as SQL Server 7.0. Is it necessary for me to know SQL. I am not very keen on getting too deep into programming What OS would I normally need to know? My ultimate goal is to become a DBA. I have knowledge of Windows 2000 Server."

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-31 : 17:04:39
Had to jump in...
just read this thread from tara posting it in another thread.

First off why even argue :-p. If you're good at what you do and you're making it financially I see no reason that you would need to take any crummy ol test.

I'd agree with hiring someone with experience rather than someone who got a red sticker on their forehead. Whether you've cheated or not..that's not the case..it all comes down to personal experience.

Also on the note about VB..I think that was probably the worst post I'd ever seen. VB is not inefficent..the programmer is inefficient. I've used it throughout my years with excellent results for client server applications. Integration with other various MS Products is simple is easy and the inner workings of the ADO object through vb has been a breeze. The only thing bad about vb is its reporting capability...but from what I hear SQL is coming out with SQL Reports???
----------------------------
Jon H.
http://www.dbguy.com
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-31 : 18:53:25
Yes, it's called Reporting Services. It's another server app and it is .Net enabled, so you'll be able to do anything with/to it as far as expanding and programming goes.

The biggest problem with VB as far as databases are concerned is that people will use VB techniques to access their data. That's why the argument about "inefficient" was raised, and is essentially true. A lot of truly skilled VB programmers write horribly inefficient database code because they don't know (or want to learn) even basic SQL programming (easily recognizable because they resist writing stored procedures...anyone who doesn't want to write stored procedures is a lazy database programmer)

This is especially true in client server apps because they so often are bent around having a user interface, even when a particular feature doesn't require an interface. ADO does not help either, because it makes it TOO easy for programmers to just fire up a recordset and go MoveNext MoveNext MoveNext and UpdateBatch. No matter how fast that code might be, it is still far less efficient than a properly written stored procedure.

This isn't meant as criticism, it's just based on personal observation and experience with a lot of programmers.
Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-31 : 23:46:34
quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

Yes, it's called Reporting Services. It's another server app and it is .Net enabled, so you'll be able to do anything with/to it as far as expanding and programming goes.

The biggest problem with VB as far as databases are concerned is that people will use VB techniques to access their data. That's why the argument about "inefficient" was raised, and is essentially true. A lot of truly skilled VB programmers write horribly inefficient database code because they don't know (or want to learn) even basic SQL programming (easily recognizable because they resist writing stored procedures...anyone who doesn't want to write stored procedures is a lazy database programmer)

This is especially true in client server apps because they so often are bent around having a user interface, even when a particular feature doesn't require an interface. ADO does not help either, because it makes it TOO easy for programmers to just fire up a recordset and go MoveNext MoveNext MoveNext and UpdateBatch. No matter how fast that code might be, it is still far less efficient than a properly written stored procedure.

This isn't meant as criticism, it's just based on personal observation and experience with a lot of programmers.

Well I'm happy to say all of my data access layer sits on SQL Server.
I had posted earlier that I have over 340+ sprocs and Im still working on my application...it does a lot. I have at most 2 sql strings that are actually executed on the client side...which probably can both be sprocs..but that is nothing compared to most apps. I although am no expert at SQL cannot blame a lot of the vb programmers..many clients want a rough deadline rob so you can't expect some of the programmers to *cheat*. I just happen to know SQL and I had picked up a good book..so I did some practice run on SPROCS, Tables, and Views and found it quite simple. Sure I can't do the wacky stuff that some of you guys are coming up with, then again I dont spend as much time as some of you might be doing. I may know more C/C++ / Java / VB..but I lack some of the advanced features which make your db's a lot more nicer than mine :). Than again Im learning sevral things at once...so really its not all programmers. Its some..and even those some want to learn..time is money. Trust me we had a contractor who did just that..he used SQL Server just as a datawarehouse to house his tables. His code was all on the client side...so he was constantly making changes to SQL stmnts in the front end and redistributing...it was a nightmare.

Jon
Go to Top of Page

rrb
SQLTeam Poet Laureate

1479 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-31 : 23:58:16
hi everyone

I reckon it depends what sort of DBA you want to be. If you want to be like one of my guys who's responsible for making sure that the servers are up and running, doing the occasional data cleanse and otherwise sitting at your desk with your feet up downloading the latest cow-fu mpeg, then quite frankly YOU DON'T NEED TO KNOW SQUAT!!!!!!

(gee I hope he is isn't reading this)

Otherwise, there are a host of DBA's out there with no previous experience. Personally I don't want to be a DBA, any job-title with the word "Admin" in it has to be a bad choice....

Fact - everyone is eventually promoted to their level of incompetence
Subfact - everyone is actually promoted one level above their level of competence
Inference - never become competent at anything and you'll keep getting promoted

--
I hope that when I die someone will say of me "That guy sure owed me a lot of money"
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-01 : 09:58:16
WOW!

What a history lesson....

It must have been fun "in the day"

Was that a mix of 6.5 /7.0 conversation going on?

My choice for a dba

WHERE Me <> 'Wake up at 3:00 am to fix stupid Server Ops mistake'

Brett

8-)

SELECT POST=NewId()
Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-01 : 10:02:08
quote:
Originally posted by X002548

WOW!

Was that a mix of 6.5 /7.0 conversation going on?

My choice for a dba

Brett

8-)

SELECT POST=NewId()

Brett you're such a nerd!
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-01 : 10:31:09
quote:

Brett you're such a nerd!

That's my day job...

But at Night....

Brett

8-)

SELECT POST=NewId()
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-01 : 13:44:24
quote:

My choice for a dba

That was me last night and the night before. Although last night wasn't caused by anyone, an application service just got hosed (about 20 people get paged when problems arise and an operator can't fix it so even the DBAs get paged). The night before last was caused by me. I overlooked something during maintenance that we did Wednesday night at 10pm. We changed a database's name and I forgot to change the jobs that reference the name. So I got paged 3 times that night on job failures. I was going to ignore them until the morning although at the time I still didn't know what was causing the failures but I did know that it could wait until the morning. The third job was the DBCC CHECKDB job that failed. I almost crapped my pants when I saw that. Don't want to get a corrupted database in the middle of the night when all you can think about is going to sleep. So I dialed in and then realized that all 3 pages were due to the jobs not being modified to use the new database name. What an idiot!

Tara
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-01 : 14:38:34
In regard to VB comments, let me paraphrase the argument... Many people (like me) coming from a background in VB or other non-SQL databases have a tendency to create solutions in an iterative fashion (cursors, readnext, update, etc.). Often in SQL databases a much better solution is set-based (update ... where ...). If you understand the right time to use each (and jhermiz, it sounds like you do) then great. But if you never learn the set-based approach, you can seriously hurt your database performance by using an iterative approach.

Now, Brett...
quote:

WOW!

I cannot even begin to tell you some of the "fun" my cohorts and I had "back in the day". I'm sorry, but we've made a pact not to dredge up the ugly past. (Or maybe we're just in danile).

Ok, really, it's been a great 2 years for me, even if I have been MIA a lot in 2003.

------------------------------------------------------
The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-01 : 15:16:25
quote:
Originally posted by AjarnMark
I cannot even begin to tell you some of the "fun" my cohorts and I had "back in the day". I'm sorry, but we've made a pact not to dredge up the ugly past. (Or maybe we're just in danile).

I wish I'd been around when he was around. I've gone back and read some of his ludicrous posts and it sure made my day.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-01 : 15:36:28
Hey, I tell you what, I joined the firsty business day of this year...

Only fireworks I saw was from "he who shalt not be named"...

But I mean...I wish I knew about this place when I BAGIN my FUSCIA HEAD against the wall trying to figure out 6.5

Blue screen of death thy name be hell...

"Why are the transaction logs blowing out"

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Brett

8-)

SELECT POST=NewId()
Go to Top of Page

Arnold Fribble
Yak-finder General

1961 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-02 : 12:15:14
fuchsia, Brett. One of very few* words that start f-u-c.

* COUNT(DISTINCT word) WHERE word LIKE 'fuc%'
rather than COUNT(word) WHERE word LIKE 'fuc%', obviously.
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-04 : 10:03:52
LOL...that's great...should have used a spell checker....

Say it with me slowly now...

FUC...HSIA

And

If you see Kay....tell her I love her...*

* Anson Funderberg reference...

Brett

8-)

SELECT POST=NewId()
Go to Top of Page

shsmonteiro
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

290 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-06 : 23:45:32
Jesus, What is happening here? Shakpearean discussions on MCDBA (To be or not to be!! May Arnold RRB could write a poetry on this subject.)

I think one the biggest benefits of certification is the WOW! Your Boss, that does not know a bit of DB admin will tell you "WOW, congratulations! You've passed that 5 exams (He dont know that are 4, but who can blame him? He is a manager.) I could not pass it for myself (duh!!! Tell me what are the news)"

Your fellows would say: "God (that's not an expression, they really think you are the Almighty). How can I Shrink a Database? (It's a fact, all people seems to suffer a infatile regretion near to a certified. But, again, who can blame them, poor mortals? After all you are God - Dont deceive them)" Then, for these question you said, with voice of thousands thunders(remember: you are GOD!!!): "Drop and recreate it!!!" And what all those happy mortal people say? "GOD SAID. Let's do it." And for those sinners who have the courage to disagree with you, you can present your MCDBA/GOD cert, and use the reproach face. All other people will agree with you and that hansen illed will be banned to the desert.

NR? What are the cause for the UK addiction for get drunk? I remember that last year, while I was at IBM ITSO in Austin, there was a colleague from IBM-UK that was half-time half drunk and the other half completely drunk.

regards,

Sérgio Monteiro
Trust in no Oracle
Go to Top of Page

rrb
SQLTeam Poet Laureate

1479 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-07 : 00:20:15
quote:
Originally posted by shsmonteiro

Jesus, What is happening here? Shakpearean discussions on MCDBA (To be or not to be!! May Arnold could write a poetry on this subject.)

Arnold???!!!! Boy its hard to keep a reputation around here.

--
I hope that when I die someone will say of me "That guy sure owed me a lot of money"
Go to Top of Page

shsmonteiro
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

290 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-07 : 00:24:57
Sorry rrb... I have a terrible problem with names.

And the poetry?

Sérgio Monteiro
Trust in no Oracle
Go to Top of Page

rrb
SQLTeam Poet Laureate

1479 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-07 : 00:58:15
there once was a yak from brazil
who obviously had too much time to kill
he commented on each topic
till his postcount was macroscopic
but he didn't add much to the bill

Arnold indeed
--
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-07 : 14:06:44
Rob,

You gotta come up for one for Tara's 2000...

Brett

8-)

SELECT POST=NewId()
Go to Top of Page

rrb
SQLTeam Poet Laureate

1479 Posts

Posted - 2003-08-11 : 20:31:35
I thought I already did - what topic number?

--
Go to Top of Page

Ronesh
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-08 : 06:52:22
I saw that inorder to be a DBA you need a lots of Coffee and Beer.
I hope Ciggrates also helps along with those drinks.
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -