Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 Protocol error in TDS stream

Author  Topic 

ZoneFX
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-20 : 06:41:05
I have a DTS set up that copies data across from the live server to a local "backup/development" copy. Everything runs fine except on occation the DTS fails kicking up a "Protocol error in TDS stream" The table that fails has just about 11,000 rows. It tends to get to about 70% complete before it fails. Is this just a network traffic issue (I'm on a domestic 1 meg connection) or has my table got too big?

I'm using SQL 2000 SP4 on Windows Server 2003

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-20 : 20:20:36
Most likely.
Go to Top of Page

ZoneFX
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-31 : 12:49:02
Most likely which?

Network or too big?
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-31 : 13:54:55
it could be a problem with the OLE db provider.

Check this KB article for a hotfix for OLEDB provider regarding this error http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/890759

Also, have you tried reconfiguring your connection to use ODBC driver instead? it will be slower, but if it works then that points to a problem with OLE DB provider.

I would try the hotfix, if it still doesn't work properly then try using the ODBC.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-01 : 00:08:34
>> Network or too big?

They are related, transferring big table over slow network will cause problem.
Go to Top of Page

BigRig2112
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2010-08-05 : 11:02:02
It may be more of an issue with the version of Excel you're using as well.
I received this error using MS Excel 2007. I looked at the connection properties and un-checked the option of "Enable Background Refresh" and it resolved the issue.

The Hotfix from MS, had some ugly instructions of backing up the machines system before installing the Hotfix. I decided to try and reduce the query time and found the Refresh Options.

Hope this helps someone.

Have A Blessed Day..!

Big Rig
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -