Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Error Code 3417. Cannot start Sql Server Service

Author  Topic 

bhav27
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-14 : 05:34:20
Hi Guys

I have my Sql server 2005 running perfectly (until yesterday) on vista. But today when I tried to connect to the server I get error 3417 meaning my master database needs rebuilt or repaired.

I tried all sort of techniques I found on internet like checking if my data files in data dir are not compressed and for the SQL Server Servies it logs on local account with interact with desktop checkbox checked. But no luck.

I tried to use setup.exe in my installer CD to rebuild master database but it seems the cmd doing nothing. To rebuild, I use the following command “start /wait setup.exe /qn INSTANCENAME=<instance> REINSTALL=SQL_Engine REBUILDDATABASE=1 SAPWD=<New SA Password>”. This cmd runs but due to some reason my master db is not being repaired. Ideally, I should see recent date change for this file.

Please advice how can I connect back to my server again making sure my databases are not lost.

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-14 : 10:20:37
Do you have good full backup?
Go to Top of Page

maassql
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-14 : 12:22:49
1) backups
2) browse to directory on server which contains the mdf and ldf files
3) copy them off asap for safety's sake ( depending on size, free space you have available outside of the server )

When you do accomplish these things, they will be to no avail, until you first find the cause of the corruption:
a) begin to verify that your hardware's firmware and drivers are up to date
b) check Windows NT event logs for messages, research them
c) clean power to servers
etc, etc, etc !

Anything will give up its secrets if you love it enough. -- George Washington Carver
Go to Top of Page

bob2619s
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-16 : 06:37:59
have install Primavera Ver 6.1 its need Sql server 2005 for database, which is running perfectly from last couple of month. Yestaday I found that is SQL server service is stop. When I try to start the services it give following error.

"Windows could not start the SQL Server(primavera) on local computer. For amore information, review the system Event log. If this is a non Microsoft service contact the services vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 3417."

Then I check with my colleague; he has reset the local admin password and from the same day SQL server stop working. I Again reset the old password, SQL server service and primavera start working.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -