Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 MSDE (2000)
 uninstall ms sql server desktop engine

Author  Topic 

girlfriday
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2008-09-07 : 18:29:43
First, I know nothing about sql stuff.
I uninstalled my Outlook 2003 business contact manager. It said, due to security issues, I should also uninstall Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (MICROSOFTSMLBIZ).

I tried to do so the same way (through add/remove programs). It gets halfway through, then says it's encountered a problem with the SQL Active Directory Helper Service (ha ha).

It then reverses the uninstall, but of course can't reverse it right and gives it a fatal error.

MS has some information on their website, knows of the issue (i guess) and gives info on how to update the registry manually. Problem is that you must use the right .msi file to do it, and for the life of me, there is NO .msi file listed in the directory in which they've told me to look. Also, no product code designation at all, I think.

Can anyone help? I don't want this thing sitting on my computer, particularly if it's a security issue...

thanks.

- Advertisement -