Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 How to get your posts noticed

Author  Topic 

aclarke
Posting Yak Master

133 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-29 : 01:53:09
Hi. Great site, thanks everybody. This is definitely the best place I know of to get my SQL questions answered, and I try to answer others' too when I think I can help and several other people haven't done so already. Please read the following with my sincere gratitude in mind.

It seems, though, that quite often (here and sometimes elsewhere) my own questions go unanswered. Case in point: http://www.sqlteam.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11664. While this isn't (only ) a plug for people to help me out with that question, I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong with my posting strategy. Is my subject too vague or boring? Am I too verbose? Unclear? Wrong forum? Am I just so smart that nobody knows the answer (imho this is the most likely)? What can I do to get people to read my posts and help me out?

The ironic thing is that probably nobody will read or respond to this post either...

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-29 : 03:48:39
Its has been NOTICED and Answered by Clarke himself .

To tell you something , as it was christmas holidays . Sqlteam's big wigs are on to vacation . otherwise am sure you wouldnt have started this thread. AjarnMark is still there , but the poor guy is toiling very hard , he had over 30+ posts in one and half a day. so, he left this intelligent one, to find the solution on his own . Am sure he didnt saw your link otherwise his post count would have been 916 instead of 915:).

Anywayz , i have always believed "If you dont get help from outside, get it from within" . And our Intelligent, Innovative, Philosopher Clarke did it .

-------------------------
Graz's Baby is my Master:)

Edited by - Nazim on 12/29/2001 03:51:47
Go to Top of Page

aclarke
Posting Yak Master

133 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-29 : 03:57:01
Well Nazim, between the two of us I guess we can work through almost anything ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-29 : 06:53:27
Hi aclarke!

Actually, if most people posted questions like the one you linked to life would be easy! DDL and DML...you rock. Unfortunately it's just bad timing. Most people are taking some time away. Normally that question would have been snapped up

Why don't you take some time off too, then when you are back, everyone ese would be too

Damian
Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-29 : 08:02:25
Ofcourse, if they leave anything for us. v can do wonders:).

quote:

Well Nazim, between the two of us I guess we can work through almost anything ;-)

Edited by - Nazim on 12/29/2001 08:05:06
Go to Top of Page

aclarke
Posting Yak Master

133 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-29 : 15:00:44
I DID take some time off! I went snowboarding for a day JUST because I was waiting for an answer to that question. Otherwise of course I wouldn't have gone (j/k). The things I sacrifice for work...

Edited by - aclarke on 12/29/2001 15:02:16
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-29 : 16:49:46
Keeping the question short is a good idea.
Putting the requirement at the top would have been good too - stops people having to search down to find out what you want.
Giving the tables and data is good - would have been better with temp tables (with drop statements at the top followed by 'go''s) so that it can be run.
If you don't get a reply then just add another post asking for any help should get some ramblings about areas to look at even if the poster doesn't have time to look into a complete solution.

I always look at active postings to get every thing since I last logged in (but don't bother with things with a lot of posts unless I'm really bored).

I would have seen this earlier but brought the network cable instead of modem for my laptop with me.
advice - don't accept an old free PC from one friend to give to another, it will cost time and money getting it working.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-30 : 01:55:57
Well, sounds like nr is enjoying his time on the beach

I'm just jumping in to say CONGRATULATIONS to aclarke for becoming the latest Yak Posting Veteran.

BTW, I did see your post because like nr and probably most of the page 1 gang, I use the Active Topics link but sometimes I see a post and think to myself, "I'll come back to that later..." and just never get back to it. Like nr suggested, if you don't get a response after a day or so, give us a bump (preferrably with additional info/attempted solutions) and see what you get.

--------------------------------------------------------------
1000 Posts, Here I come! I wonder what my new title will be...
Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-30 : 02:06:22
Congratulatons Clarke

Time for Some Root Beer

Go to Top of Page

aclarke
Posting Yak Master

133 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-30 : 02:28:49
Hmm, funnily enough I just finished a root beer float a few minutes ago.

But anyway. Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I do try to update my own posts if I don't get anyone else updating them as has been suggested but generally don't start a new thread with them. I did notice that most of the Big Folk were away over Christmas and thought that might have had something to do with it.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -