Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 Entering a URL in a post

Author  Topic 

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-20 : 05:56:26
Only just discovered this ... given how many years I've been using this forum its a bit sad!

Top of the "Edit Message" dialog box is a "Format Mode" drop-down, which defaults to Basic.

Change this to "Prompt" and press (say) the insert URL button and you get popup requests for the Title and the HTTP URL. It then puts the URL in quotes etc. to create the correct style - and inserts it in your Post - so it then looks something like this:

[url="http://www.example.com"]My Test Link[/url]

Bit more tedious if you use Bold as you get to type the text to be made bold (its not smart enough to grab any highlighted text )

The Format Mode is NOT Sticky - so you need to reset it each time you edit a post and want to use it.

There is also a HELP choice as well - displays a popup of the correct syntax, instead of doing it for you.

Just thought I would mention it as I can never remember the syntax for [url] between forums - some need the URL to be in quotes, and some don't etc

By the by, you can also change the Screen size from the default to have more editing area - this seems to be sticky. (If you use Chrome its possible to drag the bottom right corner of the TEXTAREA editing box and make it any size you want )

If you lot already knew this you should have told me years ago ... and you can stop giggling too!!

AndrewMurphy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2916 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-20 : 07:42:16
I only found out same from your post....and I'm fast approaching my 10th Anniversary of my 1st post.
Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-20 : 08:19:13
it is not available in the "Quick Reply" window and i am too lazy to click the "Reply To Topic" so i ended up having the regular link nicely formatted with the [url] in a text file and C&P into it.

KH
[spoiler]Time is always against us[/spoiler]

Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-20 : 08:20:54
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewMurphy

I only found out same from your post....and I'm fast approaching my 10th Anniversary of my 1st post.

Happy Anniversary

How time flies, i will be 5 years old at the end of the month

KH
[spoiler]Time is always against us[/spoiler]

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-21 : 03:31:50
"it is not available in the "Quick Reply" window"

True. Still handy if you create a post - for example: when writing a post about the create a post toolbar
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -