Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 Not getting latest thread version

Author  Topic 

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-07 : 10:18:16
I'm pretty sure this doesn't happen on my home network but only when I'm using the mobile connection.

Often when I reload a thread I've veiwed before it comes up with the last viwed version and I have to refresh, and ifI edit a post twice the second time it comes up with the first edit missing and I have to refresh.
Presumably it's caching data and delivering that rather than reading from the site.

Anyone know how to stop this behaviour?
The 3G connection is vis t-mobile?
Where would the caching be happening?

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-07 : 10:38:35
Different browse at home v. on mobile connection?

If that's the case there might be a setting in the browser or mobile connection might be caching at their server "on your behalf" and telling your handset to use "Version X from cache" to reduce round-trip-refresh (but I'm guessing)

What it really needs is that SQL Team tags a "Version Number" on the end of the URL - which will force the browser to treat it as different to the last time it looked (but then viewed-threads would no long be in the "visited" style ...)

If Firefox browser then you might be able to do something with Grease Monkey scripts (if that happens to be something that you are not familiar with)
Go to Top of Page

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-07 : 11:04:29
Same browser ie8 - same laptop.
Might be something in the browser that treats mobile and wifi connections differently.

I didn't install anything for the mobile connection just used the windows 7 manager (I think) - surprised that it worked as soon as I put the sim card in without any configuration. There might be something in the manager that uses cached data.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-07 : 11:15:54
Can you try a different browser? that might establish if it is a local issue, or downstream from you?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -