Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 High Availability (2005)
 Load balancing question

Author  Topic 

kensai
Posting Yak Master

172 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-08 : 08:55:06
We have a SQL Server 2005 Standart server with two databases which are used by tons of applications. The server seems to slow down at certain times of day due to high traffic. We're certainly going to scale up but we also have a few Compaq Proliant servers lying around doing nothing and I thought maybe we should scale out instead. At first I thought of dividing the two databases into separate servers but they each have tables that the other depends on so we fear that it could be slow when we separate them. Could you please give me any suggestions about scaling out for having a faster running database system?

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-08 : 09:02:31
First optimise the queries.

Second throw more hardware at the problem.

Are the CPU, Disk and/or Memory maxed out when you have system slowdown? If not, and the lock waits increase without hardware being maxed out, then more hardware probably won't solve the problem its a query that need optimising.
Go to Top of Page

kensai
Posting Yak Master

172 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-10 : 03:36:31
I'll take those into consideration. Thanks for the suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -