Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 High Availability (2005)
 installing 5 node SQL Server 2005 cluster

Author  Topic 

imarchenko
Yak Posting Veteran

57 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-10 : 22:44:02
Hello!

I will be installing new 5 node cluster soon as a replacement for existing one. This is Windows 2008/SQL Server 2005 SP4 environment.

I hope somebody can help me clarify following issues:

1.Our current cluster (also 5 node Windows 2003/SQL Server 2005) has several instances of SQL Server running on the same node (actually four on each active node). SQL Server virtual names are dependant on different IPs.
All 4 instances ob active node are listening on port 1433. Client applications are accessing databases by referencing SQL Server virtual names.
I am unsure how to proceed during installation. Do I need to run separate setup for each instance on Active node and choose default instance while specifying different IPs?
Any advice is appreciated.

2. We are planning to use mount points. Any tips on this matter is appreciated.

3. My understanding is that SQL Server virtual names should be unique on the network.
For example, we can't use name that already exist on old cluster (within the same network) even if IPs virtual names rely on are different.

Thank you in advance,
Igor

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-10 : 23:10:32
1. I would highly recommend AGAINST more than 2 or 3 nodes in a cluster. We used to have a 4-node cluster and will never, ever use more than 2 nodes. It is such a maintenance nightmare to patch the nodes with more than 2. Also, you can only have one default instance in a cluster.

2. What help do you need with mount points? We are using mount points exclusively for our systems. One drive letter per instance with 4-8 mount points.

3. That is correct, they have to be unique.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

imarchenko
Yak Posting Veteran

57 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-11 : 00:09:53
Tara,

Thanks for your reply. I perfectly understand your point. Unfortunately, this is not my call regarding number of instances. Going back to my first question, I do see on existing cluster there are 4 SQL Server instances running on active node. They all are associated with different IPs (as cluster resource) and listening on port 1433.
I was not sure how can I achieve the same configuration on news cluster. Should I run separate setup for each instance on active node? IF so, do I choose installation as default instance?

Thanks again,
Igor
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-11 : 00:26:27
Why is port 1433 required? The port should be transparent to the applications.

You can't have more than one default instance on a cluster, period, end of story.

Yes you have to run setup for each instance.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

imarchenko
Yak Posting Veteran

57 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-11 : 00:34:48
Tara,

I guess they are all installed as named instances. I can access SQL Servers either as:

sqlcmd -S<Virtual SQL Server name>

or

sqlcmd -S<Virtual SQL Server name\InstanceName>,1433

Port 1433 is not a requirement. Application is accessing server by virtual name without specifying port number. I got confused because all 4 instances on the same node are listening on port 1433.

Now I understand they are installed as named instances dependent on their own IPs. Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Igor
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-11 : 01:06:22
A clustered instance will have its own IP, so that won't change here. I am not sure if you can use 1433 for each of them though, never done it. In fact, we never use 1433 as it's a security risk.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

imarchenko
Yak Posting Veteran

57 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-11 : 01:40:56
I understand 1433 is a concern. The problem with using different port is that SQL Server (at least in theory) can pick different port after restart if initially allocated port is taken and use new one from that point on.
I was trying to figure out how 1433 was assigned to named instance. My theory is that SQL Server when booting checks 1433 port availability and since it is available, it uses it. There is nothing that has to be done explicitly to allocate this port.
Go to Top of Page

imarchenko
Yak Posting Veteran

57 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-11 : 01:44:40
Post is assigned in Network Configuration (TCP/IP - TCP Port).
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-11 : 01:47:29
SQL will not pick another port if you specify a static port. We use a static port.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

heda_p
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2011-07-27 : 12:45:59
1433 is configured for each IP associated for each instance in network config
sql1.corp.com (10.0.0.21) 1433
sql2.corp.com (10.0.0.22) 1433