Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 High Availability (2005)
 Shrinking Data file

Author  Topic 

ksr39
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-12 : 11:05:33
Hi All,
I just wanted to know weather we can do shrinking on a data & log file which is under mirroring.

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-12 : 11:08:02
Can, yes. Should, no.

Shrinking should be avoided at all costs, except in dire emergency. For reasons why see here:

http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/Why-you-should-not-shrink-your-data-files.aspx

Properly maintained log files also do not need to be shrunk.
Go to Top of Page

ksr39
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-12 : 11:14:13
Thanks Rob,
But after shrinking can i go from update stats and rebuild index is it possible.

Thanks In Advance
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-12 : 11:16:35
Sure, there's nothing preventing you from doing it. The point I'm trying to make is not to make shrinking a habit.

Be advised that if your mirrors are running in full-safety mode you may see a significant performance hit on index rebuild, unless you have Enterprise edition and can do them ONLINE.
Go to Top of Page

ksr39
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-12 : 11:23:51
Thnaks Rob,
But this is the only option i have to reduce the disk space.So,if you have any alternate than this please me.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-12 : 11:33:49
First thing to do is find out why the files grew so much, and put measures in place to prevent it. For example, are you taking regular log backups? If not, start now. You should back up the log at least once an hour, every 15 minutes is a good recommendation.

Make sure your files have enough free space to handle the largest operation you perform, like a bulk import or reindex job. These will also affect the log since you're mirroring the database. If you're really pushing the edge on disk space and can't make the DB smaller, get another, bigger disk.

If you read the link I posted Paul mentions an alternative that accomplishes the same goal as shrinking, but it requires more disk space while it runs.
Go to Top of Page

ksr39
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-12 : 11:43:24
Thnaks Rob,
S we are implementing Daily .bak and.trn regularly as for every day ful bak and every 15 mnts trn.k ill talk to windows teem about disk space lets see.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -