Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 Improved Active Topics Page

Author  Topic 

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-09 : 08:33:04
I've made a small code change to the Active Topics page that should reduce the page load time by roughly 50% -- unless you're a moderator. Sorry Rob and Damian.

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-09 : 08:54:01
Hi graz,

when are you writing another article on Performance tuning the Forums. the first one was pretty good. it will help people to look for areas on issues of performance enhancements.

---------------------------
What lies behind you and what lies ahead of you are small matters compared to what lies within you.--
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-09 : 09:14:50
I don't know if I will be anytime soon. This problem wasn't a database problem it was an application design problem -- or trade off rather.

There is code in there to check if the user has access to the forum containing the topic being displayed. Unfortunately that code ran once for each topic. And generated 2-3 database calls per topic to check database access. While that made the initial query simpler and the logic easier to understand it certainly slowed down performance.

I added code to only check forum access when the FORUM_ID changes. That should have cut the number of database calls by half. Or more.

I'm not sure that the Snitz forums are the best solution long-term. They just don't scale very well. They are working on a new version that is supposed to be faster so we'll see.

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

KHeon
Posting Yak Master

135 Posts

Posted - 2002-06-10 : 08:00:22
Oh yeah, considerably faster! Nice!

Kyle Heon
PixelMEDIA, Inc.
Senior Application Programmer, MCP
kheon@pixelmedia.com
Go to Top of Page