Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Filegroups run out of space

Author  Topic 

alejo46
Posting Yak Master

157 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-04 : 18:01:31
Good afternoon

In an analyst and ive been told to free up some FG by means of workorders

there are some reasons Im concern:

1th.Running processes a production system im not allowed to execute those workorders until it finished so theres not much time
2nd. tables are very huge and doing some deletes youve got to do these deletes in a controled way so that you cannot have troubles with filling the transaction logs further.
3nd. before doing the deletes yove got to backup, but the bottleneck i.e youve a huge table called tablexx with a column named date_start that is between 1998 and 20012.
so if we decide to delete date from 1998 to 2000 for example there is a script that creates a temporary table (select into) tablexx_1998_2000 that keeps date from 1998 to 2000 and automatically hosted
this table in the default FG primary which run out of space too. The question for this 3rd question (Would it better to download this date rage to a flat file to backup instead of creating a temp table that could
cause the tansaction logs to fill up and FG primary to run out of space ?

An most importantly As DBAs and expertise in SQLSERVER Databases, there are some kind of strategies to be implemented weekly in order to avoid the above concerns ?, so could you give me some shed lights

I appreciate your help in advanced

- Advertisement -