Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2000)
 Backup and delete data overheat

Author  Topic 

alejo46
Posting Yak Master

157 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-06 : 22:24:48
Good evening, i need your advise
before deleting some data from a huge table (not partionated by date) i run a script that creates a temp table, for instance Ive got a table called tablexx with a column named date_start that comprises data between 1998 and 20012.
if i want to delete date from 1998 to 2001 i run this script and the 1st thing it always does is to create a temporary table (select into command) called tablexx_1998_2000 hosted in the default FG primary, after creating the temp table, it extracts the data from a temp table to a flat file to backup. 3td. last, the script then delete the data from the original (tablexx)

i dont have the code for this script right now,but in my humble opinion, this sctipt is likely iinffeccient ?

(Wouldnt it better to extract data directly from tablexx to a flat file to backup instead of creating a temp table that could take so much time?, besides it
could cause the tansaction logs to fill up and FG primary to run out of space ?

Id apprciate your help in advanced

- Advertisement -