Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 restore database to a different server

Author  Topic 

stegib
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-14 : 13:03:27
I have a standalone SQL 2000 server. I want to take that database and move it to a SQL 2000 Cluster server with a different database name and server name. How can I do this and still keep all the SQL maintenance plans?

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-14 : 13:14:06
The maintenance plans probably have a fixed connections if they are DTS so will need to be changed or rebuilt.
They need to be designed to take the database and server as parameters so they can be moved easily.
It's usually pretty easy to build a stored procedure that takes the database name and/or server name as parameters.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

stegib
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-14 : 13:38:15
quote:
Originally posted by nigelrivett

The maintenance plans probably have a fixed connections if they are DTS so will need to be changed or rebuilt.
They need to be designed to take the database and server as parameters so they can be moved easily.
It's usually pretty easy to build a stored procedure that takes the database name and/or server name as parameters.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.

Ok, I understand and thought I would have to rebuild the procedures anyway. What are the steps to move the databases?
Go to Top of Page

stegib
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-15 : 11:38:32
Can some one explain the procedure in moving the databases? I am very new to this.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-15 : 15:15:10
1. Backup the database on the old server to a file.
2. Restore the database on the new server with the new database name from the backup file from step 1.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2012-08-16 : 01:53:03
It's possible the drive layout is different on the new server. So you may need to relocate the files on the RESTORE.

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -