Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 Availability Groups and DR (2012)
 Benchmark Factory for Database

Author  Topic 

raylee729
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-04 : 13:16:30
Hello,
Has anyone had experiences using Benchmark Factory for Database version 6.8.1 to test against SQL Server 2012 Alwayson Availability groups?

1) When I tried to run TPC-E benchmark test on SQL Alwayson groups with BMF, I kept getting very large log files. For instance, when I tried to create a database of around 500 GB (the capacity of the disk I had was around 1TB) to run a TPC-E benchmark test (I set the scale factor to 59 with the estimated size of 504.55 GB). However, during the database creation phase, the log file of the database grew twice as big as the data file of the database, and it used up all the space in the disk (with data file of size 320GB and log file of size 680GB), which caused the test to fail because BMF could not allocate space. Is it normal for log file to grow that big when I use SQL Server 2012 Alwayson Availability groups?

2) Another question I have is about failover on SQL Alwayson groups. I have run some tests to test failover on SQL Alwayson groups. With SQL Server Native Client v11, all the tests I ran were cancelled by BMF when failover occurred. I have unchecked ‘Stop job after first error’, and checked ‘Enable Reconnect’ for all the tests. Are there any other things I need to do to let tests continue to run when failover occurs?
Thank you for your help in advance.
Best,

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-04 : 13:28:46
Availability Groups require FULL recovery model, so you need to backup your logs periodically (And that period may be quite frquently depending on activity), or they will grow.

-Chad
Go to Top of Page

raylee729
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-04 : 13:38:39
Hi Chad,

Thank you so much for your answer to my questions. Is there any other ways beside taking log backups?
Go to Top of Page

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-09 : 17:37:24
No,

Why would you not want to take backups?

-Chad
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -