Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 A little faster

Author  Topic 

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-09-09 : 22:23:18
I made some database changes to the site tonight. Added a few indexes and rewrote a few queries. In all I reduced the database portion of the main page by about 75%. The main change was to the topic list query. I now store the article counts on the topic table. That query alone is 20 times faster now.

I'm amazed by how much SQL I've learned since I started this site. I started it as a place to share my knowledge ... err, ok, Sean's knowledge :). Knowing what I know now, I'm really embarressed by some of those earlier queries. Oh well, it gets better a little bit at a time.

Hopefully I'll be able to tackle the forums this weekend while I recover from oral surgery. Yuck! There's a new version of Snitz out that reduces the database calls by over 95%. Orcsweb will love me once I put it in :)

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-09-09 : 22:25:05
What I meant to ask was, does anyone notice a difference in the performance of the main page?

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-09-09 : 22:29:42
Yes!
It is noticeable, well done

Damian
Go to Top of Page

byrmol
Shed Building SQL Farmer