Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 Issue with Attach,can't due to compatibility issue

Author  Topic 

yasser
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 03:30:54
Hello Everyone,

First time posting here, it looks a very helpful community and I'm priveliged to be part of it.

I have a small issue but not sure how to solve.

I have 2 .mdf files and a .ldf file that were taken from a 2012 server.

I am attempting to move these files to anoter encironment having a 2008 R2 server. when I tried executing the escipt I got the following error message:

The database 'xxxxxx' cannot be opened because it is version 706. This server supports version 663 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.
Could not open new database 'xxxxxx'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 948)

So after searching I found that there are 2 solutions:
1- upgrade the 2008 server - which is NOT an option for me.
2- detach/generate scripts from the 2012 server with 2008 compatability, This is where I need you guys help on.

first how should I be taking the .mdf's? because I simply copied them and pasted them to the new environment. and I'm not sure if this is the correct way.

second thing is , how do I export the data and the structure from the 2012 server with 2008 R2 compatability? this is the main questiion.

Really in trouble here and would really appreciate the fast reply's.

Thank you very much and apologies for the bad writing, non-native speaker :) .

Ifor
Aged Yak Warrior

700 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 07:46:15
http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2810/how-to-migrate-a-sql-server-database-to-a-lower-version/
Go to Top of Page

prett
Posting Yak Master

212 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-12 : 22:34:44
I think upgrading SQL server is the easiest way to fix the problem because it is very easy in comparison of downgrade the database.

Can you please share why are you not upgrading the SQL server?

Above suggested link is the meet of your requirement if you still want to go with 2nd solution.
Go to Top of Page

yasser
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-13 : 04:14:26
Thank you for your replys.

there are a number of databases already running of 2008 that we don't want to play with at all, plus we do not have the liscense for 2012.

regarding the the solution in the link, it is not possible to execute in my case, database size is around 1 TB and that would be a huge script to run by SSMS.

what I'm trying now and I need your opinion on this, is installing a new 2012 instance. attach the files there, and then export to 2008 instance using SSMS.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -