Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 Big database with data file failure

Author  Topic 

lw1990
Yak Posting Veteran

85 Posts

Posted - 2015-12-21 : 12:04:13
Hi,
I have a database with a .mdf file of 182GB. I was trying to setup a maintenance plan and the backup job failed with this message:
"Read on "G:\SQLDATA\Prod1_Content.mdf" failed: 23(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).) BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly. End Error DTExec: The package execution returned DTSER_FAILURE (1). Started: 2:15:00 PM Finished: 2:19:53 PM Elapsed: 292.611 seconds. The package execution failed. The step failed.

I believe that there is something wrong in the database file. So I used DBCC CheckDB ('Prod1_Content') to check the database. The result is:
Msg 8921, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Check terminated. A failure was detected while collecting facts. Possibly tempdb out of space or a system table is inconsistent. Check previous errors.
Msg 8966, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Unable to read and latch page (1:355872) with latch type SH. 23(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).) failed.
Msg 8966, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Unable to read and latch page (1:355872) with latch type SH. 23(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).) failed.
Msg 8998, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Page errors on the GAM, SGAM, or PFS pages prevent allocation integrity checks in database ID 23 pages from (1:355872) to (1:363959). See other errors for cause.
CHECKDB found 2 allocation errors and 1 consistency errors not associated with any single object.
CHECKDB found 2 allocation errors and 1 consistency errors in database 'Prod1_Content'.

So, please tell me if this is the data page's error on the .mdf file or it is the tempDB size error. How to fix these 2 consistency errors or this is something else not fixable in SQL Server.

Thanks,

- Advertisement -