Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 Speed of bringing up individual messages

Author  Topic 

kjedrusiak
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-02 : 13:37:19
Varies from verry slow to reasonable.

But more consistently slow.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-02 : 13:39:08
Yes, please see graz's last post in the below thread:

[url]http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27306[/url]

Tara
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-02 : 13:45:25
Odd to see a site where problems are admitted and info about progress is given.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

JimL
SQL Slinging Yak Ranger

1537 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-02 : 13:55:19
That’s probably because we are such a motivated and interactive group that we would not tolerate anything else.

Besides we know where graz lives. LOL

Jim
Users <> Logic
Go to Top of Page

mohdowais
Sheikh of Yak Knowledge

1456 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-02 : 14:48:43
*sniff* this used to be the fastest site on the net! graz was always quick on the draw!

Unfortunately, looks like somebody gave it: what we call in Arabic "3in il a7mar" (A'in Al Ahmar) - which translates to "The red eye"

Some voodoo perhaps? a jealous ex-member? *shudder*

Owais

Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-02 : 15:40:35
And I'll give you even more information. Maybe some of the bright minds here can lend some assistance.

About two weeks ago, we started having performance problems. These seemed to primarily come in the forums. Pages that used to take 3-5 seconds to load were "suddenly" taking 20-30 seconds. (That little number at the bottom of the forum pages tells you about how many seconds it took to generate the page.) I say suddenly because I really don't recall exactly when or how it started. I do know it wasn't the result of a code change. As it got worse, we'd get script timeout errors or "SQL Server does not exist" errors.

At that point (which was about 10 days ago) I began to get more serious looking for the problem. These forums send a tremendous amount of SQL at SQL Server. The version I'm running really isn't very effecient at all. Our hosts SQL Server had plenty of horsepower to handle it so I've put off upgrading.

I've got a SQL script that simulates the SQL sent to SQL Server by various pages on the site. This is a great way to determine if the problem is in SQL Server or the web server or in between. During this whole process, these scripts ran just fine. Also, the main page and pages I wrote seem to be unaffected. Not to toot my own horn but my pages are written very differently than the forum pages. I do all kinds of freaky cool SQL to limit the number of round trips. The forums do very simple cross-platform-friendly SQL but lots and lots of round trips. We've also run Profiler sessions that show the SQL statements executing very quickly.

Which leads me to believe that there's something going on between the SQL Server and the web server. This affects the forums, which make many many round trips but not my pages which make fewer trips. The last time I saw latency like this was during Code Red. I'm working with the host (ORCSweb) to get things figured out. They've been great to work with during situations like this in the past and I'm confident we'll get it figured out.

I've also seen occassional "pauses" in SQL Server. All the queries will run very efficiently and then a batch will have a very high duration but low CPU and IO usage. That leads me to believe something is "going on " on the SQL Server that's keeping it busy doing other things. Unfortunately because I'm in a hosted environment I'm limited to getting traces that ORCSweb runs for me.

This might also be the lever that gets me to upgrade the forums. I've really needed to do that for a while now but I've always put it off. At least something good would come of this.

So ... during this process we tried to move the site to another web server. Due to a little miscommunication we also moved most of the database. That left me in a situation with one web site and two databases that needed to be merged back together -- and a broken "Subscribe to topic" link. That got fixed last night. I'm now on a new web server but back on the original SQL Server. It does seem the performance has decreased again on this SQL Server. So I'll be discussing this with OrcsWeb to see what we can get figured out. But at least I'm back on a stable environment without multiple databases. I also managed to completely rebuild all indexes during the process.

So that's where everything stands. Thanks for bearing with me during this process. We'll get it figured out soon (I hope).

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

sbradk
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-09 : 10:20:59
Some more information from the host, in case this helps anyone think of ideas....

Other sites that use the same SQL Server load their dynamic pages fine during the same times as the timeouts on this site. For example, I refreshed a forum page earlier (final runtime on 38 seconds) and while waiting for it to load, I clicked around another site and refreshed it a few times with no problems. (This other site uses the same database server). So, it doesn't seem like this problem is server-wide.

Also, this issue has persisted across two different web servers (trying both IIS5 and IIS6) and also on two different database servers. Often we can quickly identify the source of problems and work with the clients to resolve the issue, but this problem is proving to be quite tricky!! :(

Looking at the database during the slow times, we often see ~10 locks, but 10 isn't bad. And each of the locks are shared locks, which should be fine(?). Also, we aren't showing any blocking (one of the first things I thought of that might cause this).

If anyone has ideas of thoughts on other items to review/consider, please feel free to speak up. We're pulling our hair out quickly on this - and I personally don't have much to spare :)

thx

~Brad
www.orcsweb.com

Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

331 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-10 : 15:39:08
No ODBC tracing or anything like that was turned on was it?

======
Doug G
======
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-10 : 15:47:15
How about a network sniffer?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-10 : 16:01:50
Is there any blocking on the IIS side? Is it configured mor multiple threads? (I know it's a stupid question but...)

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-10 : 16:11:21
Are you running the correct version of the OLEDB Driver? IS this SQL 7 or 2000? Are the SQL Server connections set to a particular limit?

Using connection pooling? Any idle threads?

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-10 : 16:50:51
I found this amusing

quote:

For Developers:
If you develop web applications you want a company that is familiar with the technologies, both from the server-side and the development side. The fact that our staff has multiple Microsoft Certifications, from server technologies to development and database technologies, means that we can support any issues that arise - quickly and efficiently.

And why is database technologies last?

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

sbradk
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-10 : 21:38:55
No tracing is enabled.

Network monitoring shows no problems.

No blocking or other issues on the IIS side (we also have tested this on two different web servers - same result).

The database is SQL Server 2000. The web server is running MDAC 2.7.

"And why is database technologies last?"

Hehe. No particular reason really. :-)

Thanks,

~Brad

Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-11 : 13:51:30
What changed? Things are flying!

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-11 : 13:58:49
It was a little slow when I got in to work a couple of hours ago, but it's super fast now. Haven't received any errors today either. Maybe the Named Pipes change to TCP/IP that was mentioned in the other thread fixed the problems.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-11 : 14:00:28
Just like white lightning...I've never seen it this fast....

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-11 : 14:04:43
Even the forum search is faster...

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-11 : 14:23:22
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's slowing down and getting flaky again

Damn

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-11 : 14:36:52
It's up and down now..sometimes it's fast, and sometimes it just hangs and I get a time out error..

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

sbradk
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-14 : 08:34:08
Aside from the connection string change, I'm not sure if Graz has made any other changes yet. He had mentioned updating some code, or perhaps the entire version, but I'm not sure if that has started yet.

Things are loading OK for me right this moment, but I see the posts about the speed being intermittant.

It does seem that the "server does not exist or access is denied" error has gone away with the connection string change though, so that is some progress. Now if we can just track down the slowness in the app.

~Brad

Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-14 : 08:49:16
Thanks for the update Brad. I don't think Graz has upgraded yet, he is a bit slack like that

Damian
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -