Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 This page was generated in...

Author  Topic 

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-09 : 12:15:32
I'm sorry Graz but I can't help it. This is such a great place to be but how does one explain "This page was generated in 24.45 seconds"? It usually takes "forever" to post new messages and replies, forever meaning between 1 and 30 seconds usually between 2 and 10.

--
Lumbago
"Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand"

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-09 : 12:19:42
I think it's when there are lots of people subscribed to a topic. Sending email is slow, and it all happens inline, slowing the whole page down.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-09 : 12:25:01
Are there specific forums where the posting is slow?

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-09 : 12:25:47
Well, I guess you are right about that...especially of there is no internal mailserver.
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-09 : 12:25:54
I get 0.42 seconds....

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-09 : 12:30:03
It seems to me like all the forums are slow, I haven't noticed any differences but I'll keep my eyes open. The post I just made before this took 22.44 seconds. I think it would be a great improvement for the guys at Snitz if they only sent out emails for the first post to the people that are subscribing to an entire forum, and not for every single message. My mailbox gets totally flooded with messages that I'm not really interested in...
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-09 : 12:32:27
Unsubscribe

Do you know about the active topics page ? (http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/active.asp)
The SQLTeam watcher's friend

Damian
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-09 : 12:35:01
quote:
Originally posted by Lumbago

It seems to me like all the forums are slow, I haven't noticed any differences but I'll keep my eyes open. The post I just made before this took 22.44 seconds. I think it would be a great improvement for the guys at Snitz if they only sent out emails for the first post to the people that are subscribing to an entire forum, and not for every single message. My mailbox gets totally flooded with messages that I'm not really interested in...

That's why many of the forums don't allow forum-wide subscriptions. I'm seriously considering restricting that even further. I'll have to look and see how many people are subscribed to the various forums.

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-09 : 12:36:28
And that post took 20+ seconds for me while the one before it took under 1 second. So I don't think it's something structural with the site. It appears to come and go. I'll keep an eye on it.

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-09 : 12:38:33
Wow, awesome! Never seen that one before...

I tried to subscribe to the developer-forum once but gave it up after only a few hours. The only forum I'm subscribing to now is the Yak Corral cause I don't wanna miss out on any of the totally useless stuff ()...I'll definetly be looking into the active topics page...
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-28 : 20:08:27
Well...I have to say that I'm not posting this to pull your leg again, but I feel obligated to inform you about this:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e31'
Timeout expired
/forums/search.asp, line 381

Happened when I did a search for "sp_lock". Looks dangerously close to the errors I'm getting when blocking occurs in my database...

--
Lumbago
"Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand"
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-30 : 17:39:09
Lumbago, did you include any additional filtering criteria in the search page? Since Graz is not allowed by his hosting company to use Full Text indexes, I always try to include additional filters such as a date range, or if necessary, search one forum at a time.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Find more words of wisdom at [url]http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/markc[/url]
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2004-05-01 : 01:27:56
Hmm - how come Graz gets to keep his title?

I've noticd it slows down whenever Tara is on.
I suspect she has several m/c's and is really an octupus and is posting 8 messages at once :).

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

mohdowais
Sheikh of Yak Knowledge

1456 Posts

Posted - 2004-05-01 : 03:15:34
>>I've noticd it slows down whenever Tara is on.
I suspect she has several m/c's and is really an octupus and is posting 8 messages at once :).

...and she did mention a few times that she "types quite fast" ...you might be onto something there nigel.

Brett, did you see her on one of those skiing trips?

OS
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -