Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 found it funny

Author  Topic 

Seventhnight
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-03 : 16:18:34
quote:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

Transaction (Process ID 142) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

/forums/active.asp, line 349

Corey

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." - Mark Twain

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-03 : 16:46:29
That's kind of like when Bill Gates got the blue screen when unveiling Win95 :)

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

Xerxes
Aged Yak Warrior

666 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-03 : 17:16:13
Corey, is this for real? You're not puttin' us on, are ya?

Semper fi,

XERXES, USMC(Ret.)
------------------------------------------------------
The Marine Corps taught me everything but SQL!
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-03 : 18:28:37
Wow! I've never seen that here before. Has anyone else?

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Seventhnight

2878 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-03 : 20:46:32
Its for real... and graz this was my first as well...

I have seen a couple of other messages... but I haven't kept track of them

Corey

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-03 : 22:42:03
>>been chosen as the deadlock victim

I just can't help but picture this scene .....

Process #142 is trying to complete his tasks for the day, but he has been waiting patiently for another process to tidy up so he can finish his work. After a short while, there is a knock on his office door. He opens the door to see his boss, Mr. Process Manager, and two big goons he has never seen before.

"Great to see you, Mr. Process Manager!" says Process #142, "How are things? I'm just about finished up here, just waiting on a few things and I can wrap it all up!"

"I'm afraid", Mr. Process Manager says somewhat somberly as he enters the room, "that we have a situation."

"umm ... ok ... what's up?" asks Process #142.

"We are experiencing a problem on the server, known as a deadlock."

"A deadlock?" asks Process #142, "hmm .. that's doesn't sound good ..."

"No," says Mr. Process Manager, "it is not. That's why we are here." He motions to the goons behind him. One of them smiles, displaying very few teeth. The other flexes his arms and cracks his knuckles.

"Uh ... yes, " Process #142 stammers as he watches the goons. "But ... I'm afraid I don't understand ... When can I complete my process?"

"Well," Mr. Process Manager replies, "that is not possible."

Process #142 finds that suddenly he has become quite nervous. "Not possible? But I just have a few more things! I can finish up in no time, I - "

"No, I'm afraid that you won't be finishing things up today, #142."

Process #142 notices the two goons are slowly and deliberately approaching him. He finds himself backing up into a corner of his office, but there is nowhere to go.

"What is going on!? What are you doing!?"

Mr. Process Manager quietly closes the office door. "You see," he explains, "we have a resource problem. You require a particular resource another process is using, and that same process needs a resource that you are using. There is no easy solution. Drastic actions must be taken to rectify the situation. After much careful deliberation, you have been selected."

"What? I don't understand!" gulps Process #142.

Mr. Process Manager closes the shades on the lone window to the office. One goon pulls a strange, dangerous looking object that Process #142 has never seen before out of his coat.

"Yes, #142. I am afraid you have been chosen as the deadlock victim, and you are being terminated immediately. This is the last time you will be deadlocking resources with another process on our server."

"No!!!!!" screams #142 as the goons set upon him.

Mr. Process Manager watches sadly. It's a good thing this rarely happens, he thinks to himself. It never gets any easier ...

- Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-03 : 22:58:50
You're a disturbed individual Jeff

I love it

Damian
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-03 : 23:00:46
In the next espisode can we have hundreds of pro-life processes protesting outside Query Analyzer to try to end the use of "Kill".

Damian
Go to Top of Page

byrmol
Shed Building SQL Farmer

1591 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-04 : 03:53:06
Watch for the sequel (pun intended)....

Process #142.. Reloaded
Starring Dr Codd as the Architect, Date as the Oracle, Pascal as Merovingian and in his first ever appearance... Process #141 as the "other process".

Rated M
Warning: Contains violence, nudity and adult themes.

DavidM

A front-end is something that tries to violate a back-end.
Go to Top of Page

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-04 : 07:46:37
The following "bonus scene" was not included on the final edit due to "disturbing content" and will be available when the DVD comes out:

Process #142, his fate now clear, bargains for his life: "Why me? I heard Process #294 is doing a huge SELECT TOP 10 without an order by! Terminate that guy! Process #832, someone in the break room told me he was doing one of those 'fancy Rob Volk UPDATE with a variable statements' and he's been purposely doing it out of order to screw with everyone! Or #623 - they say he's put nothing but dirty DBA jokes in his transaction logs!"

- Jeff
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-04 : 08:12:19
I'm laughing too hard at this, luckily I wasn't drinking anything at the time or you'd owe me a new keyboard, monitor...
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-04 : 09:21:33
Thinking quickly, process 142 grabbed a nearby transaction and wrapped himshelf in it
thinking, " < (Select description from master..sysmessages where error=6115) > ".

The goon turns back to Mr. Process Manager and sadly reports, "< (Select description from master..sysmessages where error=6116) >"

Mr. Process Manager pounds his fist angrily on the desk, "VERY WELL!!, Let's go pay a little visit to process #832..."

TG
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-04 : 10:13:52
ROTFL!!!! TG that was icing on the cake.

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-04 : 10:23:34
Sorry, it's just that Jeff brought process #142 to life for me. Brought him straight into my heart and I'm a sucker for a Holywood ending...and besides, Rob's fancy update with a variable deserves to die. :)

TG
Go to Top of Page

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-04 : 10:58:58
Hey, TG, I enjoyed the ending! and the cleverness of the error messages .. very cool!

As for Process #142, yes he is a likeable fellow. Sort of an "Arthur Dent"-esque quailty to him, I'd say.

- Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-04 : 18:20:44

Process #142 became depressed with survivors guilt after his narrow escape, and attempted to end it all.

He discovered that "( Select description from master..sysmessages where error = 6104 )", and escaped again.

The saga continues.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-04 : 18:51:19
A very happy ending indeed!

But there is a dark side as well;

Even though Process #142 knows he is thee 1 with the answer, he is so shocked by the
experience, and by his narrow escape that he decides to not play it clean anymore!
"From here on..., I will always do dirty reads!", he says to himself.

The state of the supercomputer has never been in a more perilous state ever before !!!

rockmoose
Go to Top of Page

Xerxes
Aged Yak Warrior

666 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-07 : 13:40:23
This is priceless! This is primary the reason I visit SQLTeam.com - the information is sound, and the entertainment value is simply priceless!

Semper fi,

XERXES, USMC(Ret.)
------------------------------------------------------
The Marine Corps taught me everything but SQL!
Go to Top of Page

jen

4110 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-20 : 02:59:56
Mr. Process Manager, "He's doing it again! Now we got him".
With his two goons in tow, they identified Process #142 hiding behind a trExport in table X using Profiler.

The room opened with a bang, Mr. Process Manager shouting orders to the goons to take him down.
Suddenly, Process #142 pulls out an object.
"Well gentlemen, here we are again. This object that I'm holding will annihilate all Processes in this server, I call it spAnnihilate. Exported this little baby from sqlteam.com

The mechanism is simple, if you kill me, this will detonate and will 'take care' of all processes. So if I were you, leave me in peace and let me finish this report i'm exporting! Whether you like it or not, I am going to finish this task."

Mr. Process Manager, speechless closed the door. Dialed a number, "We have a situation, the Victim is not responding."

Then total blackout.

As the flash of light filled the room, Mr. Process Manager with his two goons (now with complete set of teeth and clean-shaven) enters calmly. "Go clean this mess and leave no trace. Processes will be coming in now and no one must know what happened"

--

--------------------
keeping it simple...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -