Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 SQLTeam Site Code

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2001-07-18 : 08:20:40
Vince writes "I just discovered your site and, as a long-time visitor to Slashdot (user # 7669), I noticed that the layout of your site was very similar to /. Reading a bit further, I see that this was intended.

In the same spirit as what Slashdot has been developed under, do you think it will be possible to package up and release the SQLTeam's site code and release under some sort of open source license? I like /. and all, but I don't want to be a Perl god, so I don't benefit from their site, and I don't contribute to it either. However, I am very involved in the MS suite, and could possibly even find the wherewithal to contribute/learn from an implementation like this one. I've toyed with the idea of opening a site for various purposes, and this could be a good start and would even allow me to hone job skills while just having fun (as opposed to having to use Perl to have that fun).

Furthermore, I can see the possibility of the site's code being improved by its readership. It could become an exemplar of what can be done with properly written ASP + SQL Server (+ VB?). Heck, you would probably even get some help with re-writing it for .NET to make better use of all the features there.

What do you think?

Please email to let me know your thoughts; I don’t want to miss it.

PS - You might find it interesting to know (if you don’t already) that Slashdot has also been mimicked in Python using the Zope app-server. I’ve used Python for a while, and love it to death, but I won’t go near Zope because I wouldn’t be comfortable recommending it to clients (but I have used Python for clients). Another dead end (unless I want to re-invent the wheel of course (Oh, may I? Pretty please? *Ick*)).

THANKS!"

- Advertisement -