Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 MSDE (2000)
 Connection Issues to MSDE

Author  Topic 

troubledmind
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-27 : 18:12:03
Hi everyone,

I'm running Microsoft Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, with a MSDE 2000 instance for 3rd party software.

I am very new to working with MSDE so I apologise in advance for my lack of lingo.

My problem is that we have 3rd party software that connects to a MSDE database on the server. I am able to connect to the database using the domain administrator account, but nothing else. Any other domain user that attempts to connect to the database using the SQL service manager in the task bar gets "Access is denied". Also when connecting using the 3rd party software it displays an error message which roughly says "access is denied for <domain>\<user name>".

I have spoken with the 3rd party software support and tried all of their suggestions. Their main one was to set NTFS permissions on particular files and directories in the SQL folder and Windows folder. It didn't help.

Any ideas on how I could fix this?

rlaubert
Yak Posting Veteran

96 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-28 : 16:01:49
If I remember right, MSDE is installed with only the installer account authorized. Try using Enterprise Manger to check the security for MSDE. If you dont have Enterprise Manager you can download a freeware package call Sqlmgr2k.

Raymond Laubert
MCDBA, MCITP:Administration, MCT
Go to Top of Page

troubledmind
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2007-02-28 : 16:50:51
Thanks for your reply. I should also have mentioned that when I add a normal domain users account to the domain administrators group, it allows access. Should I still use Sqlmgr2k to check the security?
Go to Top of Page

rlaubert
Yak Posting Veteran

96 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-14 : 14:12:54
No, Windows security is much more secure and easier to manage.

Raymond Laubert
MCDBA, MCITP:Administration, MCT
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-15 : 00:11:56
MSDE installs with windows authentication only enabled. The only group with access is the local administrator group on the server MSDE is installed on. This group is mapped to a group in MSDE called BUILTIN\Administrators.

The easy solution is to add another AD group into the security section of MSDE and grant access there. Adding users to the LOCAL Admins group on your server gives them more rights then you probably are wanting them to have.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

troubledmind
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-15 : 18:00:42
THanks for the replies.

Eyechart, say I have already created the group in AD, how do I add that group into the security section of MSDE and grant it access?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -