Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 MSDE (2000)
 MSDE 2000 Management Tools

Author  Topic 

cmitty
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 08:38:23
Hello,

I have a server that runs an application to allow guest internet access and runs an MSDe database.

I am looking to understand what tools are avilable with MSDE to take the database offline, and make a local copy of the database in a flat file. Having done some research I cannot seem to find any documentation, it all seems to offer info on SQL 2005 Express edition. If it does not come with any, what can I use to perform the house keeping jobs?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

C

vst
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 10:07:07
Try to use osql
C:\> osql –E –S LocalHost
1: Select @@Version
2: go
3: quit
Go to Top of Page

jezemine
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2886 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 10:39:53
you don't need to take it offline to export data to a flat file. in fact if you take it offline, you won't be able to export anything.

check out bcp.exe in BOL to export data to flat files.

www.elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

cmitty
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 11:13:33
All,

Thats great, just the lead I am looking for. Many thanks for your input

Cheers

C
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-18 : 13:15:33
you can also use SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE) to manage your MSDE 2000 databases if you want a GUI. One thing it lacks is the ability to work with SQL Agent on a MSDE2K environment (since SQL Express edition doesn't offer this capability). There are some other limitations too, but the SQL Agent thing is the biggest issue for me.

Anyway, most of the functionality of query analyzer/enterprise manager/management studio is in the SSMSE package. get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C243A5AE-4BD1-4E3D-94B8-5A0F62BF7796

-ec
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -